Arenacross no more...

Premix
Edited Date/Time 2/1/2018 3:03pm
Pulp reporting arenacross is done after this year. Will have amateur race on Sunday after SX much like they are doing this year. Can’t say I’m shocked but a bummer for the guys and gals (employees and racers) that make their living in that series.
|
KMC440
1/30/2018 5:01am
I wonder if someone will resurrect it or attempt to in the future. It's still a good weekend of moto in the winter.
How are we going to get to Supercross without Ricky's road to guide us? HuhDryWhistling
JB 19
1/30/2018 5:06am
It's too bad that they can't do something like a 2/3 size track on Friday night at the SX's. Wasn't it Atlanta that they did that last year? It would give them so many more options with the track. Seems like one problem with Arenacross is the stale tracks. I would probably pay 25$ on Friday night at somewhere like Indy to watch the Arenacross and then watch the Supercross on Saturday with my Supercross ticket.

I'm not sure if it would work, but it sounds like fun. Silly
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
1/30/2018 5:07am
That would suck. I know alot of guys here in NC race the round here. Leave amateur day to the amateurs and dreamers who just want to ride in the stadium. Those arenacross guys are no joke.
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
1/30/2018 5:12am
That would suck. I know alot of guys here in NC race the round here. Leave amateur day to the amateurs and dreamers who just want...
That would suck. I know alot of guys here in NC race the round here. Leave amateur day to the amateurs and dreamers who just want to ride in the stadium. Those arenacross guys are no joke.
You got that right.

The Shop

BobKerr
1/30/2018 5:47am
That sucks. I went to the race last weekend in Greensboro. It was fun.
early
Fantasy
2231st
1/30/2018 5:59am
Maybe they will sell the series to spmeone that will run it in the fall instead of against sx.
1/30/2018 6:01am Edited Date/Time 1/30/2018 6:01am
Pro racing cannot be run as if it’s a participant driven business model. And renting arenas aint cheap.

The sport couldn't sustain itself on gate sales & entry fees alone. If mfg’s pull back, poof.

It should be a lesson to how fragile a house of cards even SX is. And why they’re playing w/ format changes. Pro racing needs to be “exposure driven”. And SX needs a lot of work before or if it will ever attract a casual fanbase that can hold the series afloat.
kkawboy14
1/30/2018 6:10am
It would put more money into sx from all the players!
rhargrave431
1/30/2018 6:54am
I think that the promoters did it to themselves. Start it in November and end it the week before Supercross starts. There isn't enough resources in our small world to do both at once. Do you think of Racerx or Vital had just one journalist, they would send them to Greensboro or Glendale? Sx in the winter/spring MX in Summer, and AX in the Winter. More resources and money to go around.
honda907
1/30/2018 7:02am
Pro racing cannot be run as if it’s a participant driven business model. And renting arenas aint cheap. The sport couldn't sustain itself on gate sales...
Pro racing cannot be run as if it’s a participant driven business model. And renting arenas aint cheap.

The sport couldn't sustain itself on gate sales & entry fees alone. If mfg’s pull back, poof.

It should be a lesson to how fragile a house of cards even SX is. And why they’re playing w/ format changes. Pro racing needs to be “exposure driven”. And SX needs a lot of work before or if it will ever attract a casual fanbase that can hold the series afloat.
Very good point!!

How much longer before Outdoor MX becomes like AX? Nobody saw this AX coming if it's true.
lumpy790
1/30/2018 7:07am
Why do they think AX is done? I would be surprised if AX is done with the drawing of spectators and necessitie to get points to move up to SX if it went away.
lumpy790
1/30/2018 7:10am
Pro racing cannot be run as if it’s a participant driven business model. And renting arenas aint cheap. The sport couldn't sustain itself on gate sales...

honda907 wrote:
Very good point!!

How much longer before Outdoor MX becomes like AX? Nobody saw this AX coming if it's true.
Every type of race series is supported financially by giving sponsors the exposure they receive for writing a LARGE check.
Forty
1/30/2018 7:15am
Bummer.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
1/30/2018 7:18am

honda907 wrote:
Very good point!!

Nobody saw this coming? There's been rumors Arenacross was going to shut down for a few years now, I was surprised there was a series this year...
oldblood
1/30/2018 7:19am
Time to resume the Golden State Nationals, the CMC site is still up.
mauidex
1/30/2018 7:29am
well there goes the theory of where all the "professional" privateers that cant cut it on the SX tour go!!!!
etccb
1/30/2018 7:35am Edited Date/Time 1/30/2018 7:38am
Due to costs they need to try and follow the dirt in the arena. Following the PBR or endurocross around on the weekend before or following weekend after the outdoors ends as an example. Getting aligned with a promoter getting more then 1 night out of some of the efforts involved would be key. Sad to see this go.
Ted722
1/30/2018 7:37am
Will Feld just shut it down? Or will they sell it? I guess probably the same as what they did with the circus.
MR. X
1/30/2018 7:38am
Bring back ultracross!!
mb60
1/30/2018 7:42am
Run the series starting after labor day and make it a 3 moto format. Would love to see Mike Kidd take over again see where it goes. Another AMA series ran into the ground in my honest opinion.
KMC440
1/30/2018 7:42am

honda907 wrote:
Very good point!!

Soon... rumblings are a 21+ race SX series and a 6 to 8 race outdoor series.
1/30/2018 7:43am
lumpy790 wrote:
Why do they think AX is done? I would be surprised if AX is done with the drawing of spectators and necessitie to get points to...
Why do they think AX is done? I would be surprised if AX is done with the drawing of spectators and necessitie to get points to move up to SX if it went away.
If true, they'll probably just use A class or something similar on amateur day for points to move up.
KMC440
1/30/2018 7:53am
mb60 wrote:
Run the series starting after labor day and make it a 3 moto format. Would love to see Mike Kidd take over again see where it...
Run the series starting after labor day and make it a 3 moto format. Would love to see Mike Kidd take over again see where it goes. Another AMA series ran into the ground in my honest opinion.
Loved the Mike Kidd events. They were more in line with the old Regional AX events with the classes on Fri & Sat nights. Remember a 'C' class racer brings mom, dad, bro, sis, g-friend even a cousin or so. Not so much a "pro" racer. If I remember right the AX tour of late had no B or C or 50cc classes on the Fri or Sat nights. That's a lot of potential butts in the seats of the night program.
1/30/2018 7:58am
etccb wrote:
Due to costs they need to try and follow the dirt in the arena. Following the PBR or endurocross around on the weekend before or following...
Due to costs they need to try and follow the dirt in the arena. Following the PBR or endurocross around on the weekend before or following weekend after the outdoors ends as an example. Getting aligned with a promoter getting more then 1 night out of some of the efforts involved would be key. Sad to see this go.
They already do this.
wasummer46
1/30/2018 8:01am Edited Date/Time 1/30/2018 8:02am

honda907 wrote:
Very good point!!

KMC440 wrote:
Please tell me this isn't serious.
After the 13th-14th round of Supercross I'm looking forward to Outdoors.
And after 12 rounds of Nationals I wish there were more.

I can't speak for other rounds of the AX tour, but Greensboro had a nice turn out.
I've seen less people on a Saturday night for a Hurricanes game in Raleigh. (At a similar sized arena)
Sucks if this does discontinue, Like others have said, run this series during Oct-Nov-Dec months.

BobPA
1/30/2018 8:02am
Crazy, I went to the Wilkes-Barre round in PA. Place was absolutely packed, have not seen our small arena sold out in some time.
1/30/2018 8:06am
End of an era.....only positive I can see is that more guys will be racing SX now, so that's good.

I think Dennis Hawthorne was the original king of that sport, which is weird because his style was much better suited for outdoors.

RIP Arenacross.
ATKpilot99
1/30/2018 8:11am

honda907 wrote:
Very good point!!

KMC440 wrote:
That would be idiotic. The field can't stay healthy for a 17 round season. The beginning of the end for American motocross.
JustMX
1/30/2018 8:12am
Feld can pretty much lock up the arenas by scheduling other events.

If an arena is in a good market they will have something there.

It just will be something with a better return than arenacross.
bball35
1/30/2018 8:16am
Damn this sucks if true. I can see someone else taking over and creating another series though.

Post a reply to: Arenacross no more...

The Latest