KYB China Suspension?

F451
Edited Date/Time 5/8/2020 10:55am
Anybody know anything about the KYB suspension components coming out of China? Are they the same specs and quality as the regular KYB components on the Japanese dirt bikes?

Sur Ron in China is claiming their soon to be released e-dirt bike, the Storm, is going to have KYB China suspension and I'm very curious if the suspension is comparable to what we are all used to from KYB.

Thanks. -Eddie
|
bvm111
5/6/2020 3:56pm Edited Date/Time 5/6/2020 4:14pm
I’m going to go out on limb here and Take a “risk” and say that there is no way.... no way they are the same.
F451
5/6/2020 4:01pm Edited Date/Time 5/6/2020 4:04pm
bvm111 wrote:
I’m going to go out on limb here and Take a “risk” and say that there is no way.... no way they are the same.
Dude you crazy risk taking thrill seeker going way out on that limb, Lol.

I'm with you on this but I am curious to see what the Storm suspension is like when it comes out. There's plenty of high quality components coming out of China nowadays along with a bunch of garbage. Just depends on how its spec'd.

So there is a chance...

https://media1.tenor.com/images/57d78cfeb23514dffe2f2fbc798b7413/tenor…
downard254
5/6/2020 4:03pm
Internals are probably a pair of springs inside with just enough oil dumped in to create air pressure buildup reducing the bottoming effect.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
5/6/2020 4:07pm
CEO of KTM did an interview and said the Chinese cant build to the same quality so the chinese bikes are only going to be sold in China.
Nobody says the Japanese cant build good stuff. Usually "made in Japan" is a symbol of quality.

The Shop

5/6/2020 4:19pm
KYB doesn’t manufacture in China last I knew, so suspension labeled as “KYB China” is counterfeit.
APLMAN99
5/6/2020 4:32pm
colintrax wrote:
CEO of KTM did an interview and said the Chinese cant build to the same quality so the chinese bikes are only going to be sold...
CEO of KTM did an interview and said the Chinese cant build to the same quality so the chinese bikes are only going to be sold in China.
Nobody says the Japanese cant build good stuff. Usually "made in Japan" is a symbol of quality.
The Chinese definitely won't build to the same quality as the Japanese for 10% of the price.

The reason so much is made in China is because of price, not quality first.

If you are willing to pay a premium price, you can get whatever you want made to whatever spec you want. But again, not too many source to China for reasons other than price
JohnnyD13
5/6/2020 6:20pm
My 2018 Crf50 I bought for my son says made in China. I started looking into it when it would get stuck between first and second. I bought an 18 because I thought it would be a new Honda 50 that would never die because the old ones were so good. I can’t believe Honda did that.
5/6/2020 7:15pm
JohnnyD13 wrote:
My 2018 Crf50 I bought for my son says made in China. I started looking into it when it would get stuck between first and second...
My 2018 Crf50 I bought for my son says made in China. I started looking into it when it would get stuck between first and second. I bought an 18 because I thought it would be a new Honda 50 that would never die because the old ones were so good. I can’t believe Honda did that.
It's the same motorcycle.
RbR
5/6/2020 7:35pm
Generally speaking, if a manufacturer wants access to the Chinese market they are forced to 'partner' with a Chinese business and are required to transfer their IP to the partnership. It's how the Chinese force IP theft.
5/7/2020 12:53am
Nothing wrong with made in China. As long as it's engineered in Japan and as long as they have the right quality control.
5/7/2020 1:29am
Nothing wrong with made in China. As long as it's engineered in Japan and as long as they have the right quality control.
And when that quality control slips, the damage to brand recognition might be irreversible.
MZ193
5/7/2020 1:57am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2020 1:59am
colintrax wrote:
CEO of KTM did an interview and said the Chinese cant build to the same quality so the chinese bikes are only going to be sold...
Quote.
Let's say that you could have quality control for made in china, but as long as quality control is a serious thing.
If the quality control misses, then you are buying shit...
Tuna
5/7/2020 3:56am
And when that quality control slips, the damage to brand recognition might be irreversible.
I worked with a company that manufactured some high end components in China. You can manufacture quality product anywhere in the world as long as you have the proper QC and procurement in place. We had our own guys from NA monitoring quality control and raw material. Was not really a big issue. I have heard some horror stories from some other companies that did not have their own people in the building monitoring the manufacturing process. Shit got out of control pretty quickly.
Tuna
5/7/2020 5:09am
colintrax wrote:
MZ193 wrote:
Quote. Let's say that you could have quality control for made in china, but as long as quality control is a serious thing. If the quality...
Quote.
Let's say that you could have quality control for made in china, but as long as quality control is a serious thing.
If the quality control misses, then you are buying shit...
KTM has had quite a few bad batches of parts made in Europe end up on their bikes.
omalley
5/7/2020 5:48am
I can see the brochure now:

Works kit A qualified suspension fork. Add pleasure to your ride quality through nice spring choice. Oil is top market choice for best riding situation....
Motofinne
5/7/2020 5:59am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2020 8:06am
Tuna wrote:
I worked with a company that manufactured some high end components in China. You can manufacture quality product anywhere in the world as long as you...
I worked with a company that manufactured some high end components in China. You can manufacture quality product anywhere in the world as long as you have the proper QC and procurement in place. We had our own guys from NA monitoring quality control and raw material. Was not really a big issue. I have heard some horror stories from some other companies that did not have their own people in the building monitoring the manufacturing process. Shit got out of control pretty quickly.
I don't know if anyone here is familiar with a guy named Hambini (aerospace engineer, i think he works for Airbus) that has a big YouTube channel and he makes bottom brackets for road cycles. His videos (that has unfortunately been removed because of various reasons) are pretty good and he has talked about this topic a lot.

Long story short. It doesn't matter where you make stuff, bad quality control is everywhere and the reason for it is money.
Ebs
5/7/2020 6:06am
C Kit suspension, wait for the Harbor Freight coupons for best pricing.
thewrizzle
5/7/2020 6:09am
omalley wrote:
I can see the brochure now: Works kit A qualified suspension fork. Add pleasure to your ride quality through nice spring choice. Oil is top market...
I can see the brochure now:

Works kit A qualified suspension fork. Add pleasure to your ride quality through nice spring choice. Oil is top market choice for best riding situation....
Underrated and quite good. Thanks for the chuckle.
F451
5/7/2020 6:18am
Lol, you guys are killing me here.

So, it sounds like exactly no one here has heard of, seen, touched, or ridden on the alleged KYB China suspension.

Very interesting.

The Sur Ron Storm Bee (STORM BEE!!! Lol) should be in customers hands this summer. I'll try to remember to update this thread after the details on the bike are being shared by actual customers. -Eddie
JohnnyD13
5/7/2020 6:21am
JohnnyD13 wrote:
My 2018 Crf50 I bought for my son says made in China. I started looking into it when it would get stuck between first and second...
It's the same motorcycle.
So is it just put together in China? Or are they making the components? I can tell you the quality is not there. Do you have any other info?
Johnny Depp
5/7/2020 6:42am
F451 wrote:
Lol, you guys are killing me here. So, it sounds like exactly no one here has heard of, seen, touched, or ridden on the alleged KYB...

So, it sounds like exactly no one here has heard of, seen, touched, or ridden on the alleged KYB China suspension.

Very interesting.

The Sur Ron Storm Bee (STORM BEE!!! Lol) should be in customers hands this summer. I'll try to remember to update this thread after the details on the bike are being shared by actual customers. -Eddie
I'm sure the forks will be workable. It's the rear suspension that is the problem. The shock angle appears opposite of what we normally see, possibly falling rate? Every video I saw of that prototype you could hear the earth shake as it bottomed on every jump.
F451
5/7/2020 6:59am
F451 wrote:
Lol, you guys are killing me here. So, it sounds like exactly no one here has heard of, seen, touched, or ridden on the alleged KYB...

Very interesting.

I'm sure the forks will be workable. It's the rear suspension that is the problem. The shock angle appears opposite of what we normally see, possibly...
I'm sure the forks will be workable. It's the rear suspension that is the problem. The shock angle appears opposite of what we normally see, possibly falling rate? Every video I saw of that prototype you could hear the earth shake as it bottomed on every jump.
Agreed. I don't think anyone is expecting the Storm to be competitive with modern MX bikes, but it will be interesting to see how it does once its in customers hands. And yes, the rear suspension looks problematic, but I am reserving judgement, I've been wrong before about things I really don't know anything about.
JM485
5/7/2020 7:48am
I’m guessing most of you don’t know that the smaller Honda trail bikes have been made in China for years now. . .
5/7/2020 8:06am
F451 wrote:
Dude you crazy risk taking thrill seeker going way out on that limb, Lol. I'm with you on this but I am curious to see what...
Dude you crazy risk taking thrill seeker going way out on that limb, Lol.

I'm with you on this but I am curious to see what the Storm suspension is like when it comes out. There's plenty of high quality components coming out of China nowadays along with a bunch of garbage. Just depends on how its spec'd.

So there is a chance...

https://media1.tenor.com/images/57d78cfeb23514dffe2f2fbc798b7413/tenor…
a friend has just bought a Chinese electric car He was really surprized at quality of the components on it He has went from a Kia Sportage to it They have gave a 7 year warranty on the battery
5/7/2020 8:10am
JM485 wrote:
I’m guessing most of you don’t know that the smaller Honda trail bikes have been made in China for years now. . .
Yeah & they look and feel cheap.
JohnnyD13
5/7/2020 8:46am
JM485 wrote:
Yeah & they look and feel cheap.
I learned the hard way on that. My 18 crf 50 sucks

Post a reply to: KYB China Suspension?

The Latest