soggy
Fantasy
3857th
Edited Date/Time 2/17/2021 10:58pm
Anyone given these a try yet?
|
seth419
6/23/2020 9:44pm
I along with most of the guys I ride with have Lainer do our suspension. Walther is a no nonsense suspension mastermind. I would imagine the EPICA kit is amazing.
Motofinne
6/24/2020 12:41am
No i haven't tried them. But pretty much everything that Lainer does is good stuff in my experience. I run the Lainer PDS in the fork and it's a massive gain compared to the stock feeling if you want something stiffer and more progressive. There is a new version of it now that i might try later this year.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
6/24/2020 5:46am
I've heard good things about lainer. Just doing some research for a possible spring conversion

The Shop

moto67e
Fantasy
2734th
6/24/2020 3:48pm Edited Date/Time 6/24/2020 3:48pm
Walter at Lainer is a great dude. He's done the suspension on my Supermoto bike as well as my moto bike. Really easy to work with.
bents
Fantasy
909th
6/24/2020 9:57pm
I'm curious to hear about these guys as well.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
6/25/2020 5:15am
He did my buddies 18 crf450. Wasn’t impressed way too stiff and unbalanced.
Did he take it back to have it valved different?
motardchris
6/25/2020 12:51pm
The great thing about Lanier is if you do have an issue he will make sure it gets resolved and you’re feeling comfy. One conversation with Walther will have you wanting to drop your stuff off with him.
TeamGreen
6/25/2020 12:55pm
He built stuff for Michael Leib and it seems pretty damn good.
6/25/2020 10:20pm
The great thing about Lanier is if you do have an issue he will make sure it gets resolved and you’re feeling comfy. One conversation with...
The great thing about Lanier is if you do have an issue he will make sure it gets resolved and you’re feeling comfy. One conversation with Walther will have you wanting to drop your stuff off with him.
He took it back three times. Still way stiff even for me. im twice as fast and 250 pounds my buddy is 170. I do my own stuff in my bike. I have not broken down the stack he put in yet.
DL
6/26/2020 8:15am
Walther is amazing. Michael has been working with him for years and I recommend him to many riders that Rocket works with with excellent results. He designs and builds many products that improve suspension and he sells his parts, oil and high end shock bleeding machine to other suspension companies. Take a look at his website and give him a call.
YZed250
6/26/2020 12:58pm
DL wrote:
Walther is amazing. Michael has been working with him for years and I recommend him to many riders that Rocket works with with excellent results. He...
Walther is amazing. Michael has been working with him for years and I recommend him to many riders that Rocket works with with excellent results. He designs and builds many products that improve suspension and he sells his parts, oil and high end shock bleeding machine to other suspension companies. Take a look at his website and give him a call.
When Vital tested Mike's FC250, I noticed he was using Lainer AER fork for AMA Pro SX. Mind blown!
DL
6/26/2020 1:33pm
YZed250 wrote:
When Vital tested Mike's FC250, I noticed he was using Lainer AER fork for AMA Pro SX. Mind blown!
Michael prefers air for SX
Mayo513
6/26/2020 6:22pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2020 6:23pm
My set is on the way to me. I'm a bigger guy, so heavier springs. Hoping to be down around 200 by end of year, but 221 right now.

Full Suspension setup:
Builder/Tuner: N2D (For Harescramble/GNCC style east coast riding)
Fork: Lainer Epica Cartridges
Fork Springs: SiCr .50kg/mm
Shock: KTech Bladder conversion (60mm) and Xtrig Preload.'
Shock Spring: SiCR 5.5kg/mm
Linkage: Luxon
Knuckle: N2D/Luxon
Rear Axle: Ride Engineering Honda Rear Axle & RE Blocks
Triple Clamps : XTrig ROCS Pro
Damper: 24mm HPSD Race Tech Gold Valve Conversion & Stiff Shim Stack. 20w oil
Handlebar Mounts: Mako 360 Green/Green
Handlebar: ODI CFT Podiums
Grips: Pro Taper Pillow Tops

Might be another week or two before I can test it as I'm waiting for my cylinderhead to be repaired. Will try to post back finding here, but I'm very excited by the wide range of adjustments and clicker setup. I know N2D will be putting it on their bike for extensive testing as well.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
9/28/2020 8:50am
Mayo513 wrote:
My set is on the way to me. I'm a bigger guy, so heavier springs. Hoping to be down around 200 by end of year, but...
My set is on the way to me. I'm a bigger guy, so heavier springs. Hoping to be down around 200 by end of year, but 221 right now.

Full Suspension setup:

Might be another week or two before I can test it as I'm waiting for my cylinderhead to be repaired. Will try to post back finding here, but I'm very excited by the wide range of adjustments and clicker setup. I know N2D will be putting it on their bike for extensive testing as well.
Hey did you ever get to try these out?
Mayo513
10/14/2020 1:34pm
Mayo513 wrote:
My set is on the way to me. I'm a bigger guy, so heavier springs. Hoping to be down around 200 by end of year, but...

Full Suspension setup:

soggy wrote:
Hey did you ever get to try these out?
Sorry, this is forum is terrible for notifications for me.

Crazily enough, no. I a cylinder head/cam journal galling issue that I sent out to repair and took ages to be return, only to not be satisfied for the work. Had to order new cylinder head parts, and went with a cylinder works big bore kit. I've rebuilt this engine twice now, and I'm close to having it running again, but ironing out some kinks for starting issues.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
2/8/2021 11:02am
Anyone gotten any time in these yet?
Mayo513
2/15/2021 2:26pm
soggy wrote:
Anyone gotten any time in these yet?
Yes, I have about 8 hours on them so far. Got my bike setup near end of Nov, so have had little time to ride it during the winter.

I'm not the best at describing suspension so I apologize. I can only best compare them to MXTech Lucky's which I use on my 2T for similar riding (Harescramble/single track, limited MX). Both are setup for similar riding and weight. I don't think it's fair to compare these to the stock aer they replaced in my '17 350, at least for non motocross.

There is obviously a larger price difference between these two, but I would have no trouble spending the extra money for these over the lucky gen1's. I haven't gotten to try the carbon/gen2 luckys which might be a more fair comparison.

On tighter, wetter, rocky/root slower riding, it was perfectly predictable. Easy to control on approach and leaving from these obstacles. It had no problem staying planted for riding out/braking in heavy ruts. When crossing ruts, it also stayed extremely predictable under heavy throttle.

For faster harscramble and flowy races/trails, where I'm in 3rd gear with half throttle or higher at times, this is where they really shined. So far, haven't had them bottom out even at higher speeders hitting little "ski jumps" that are flat bottomed and lower landings. They absorbed uneven whoops very well and I never had any issue on heavy brake, hitting braking bumps or square edge rocks at speeds in the straight or braking coming into corners.

I still haven't gotten to try it out on indoor or mx yet due to the weather and work timing. I'm most eager to do this as with the luckys there is where I had the least confidence. Always tapering throttle back and under jumping for safer and more controllable landing.

Without more extensive testing, I can't give a further or more detailed review. Right now, they feel like a better KYB setup on the ktm. It could also be a good portion of what I described is well it was setup for my riding style and skills, which could be true. Both came from very well respected tuners. Right now, I'm over the moon with them and extremely excited to hit up a majority of the GNCC and NEPG's within a reasonable distance.

One pro/con: I'm still wrapping my head around the tweakability of these. It's incredible that there are so many options for further tuning. However with that, usually comes a higher need for maintenance and replacement. Time will tell for that.

Both bikes:
TC250
Xtrig Clamps/HPSD Damper
Flexx bars
MX Tech Gen 1 Lucks
Race Tech Bladder
Devol Linkage
Stock Knuckle

350XCF
XTrig Clamps/HPSD Damper
Flexx bars
Lainer Epica Cartridges
Ktech Bladder
Luxon Linkage
Luxon Knuckle
Honda Rear axle.

PTshox
2/17/2021 10:58pm
N2D folks are good people; straight shooters IMO
2/18/2021 10:57am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2021 2:36pm
The great thing about Lanier is if you do have an issue he will make sure it gets resolved and you’re feeling comfy. One conversation with...
He took it back three times. Still way stiff even for me. im twice as fast and 250 pounds my buddy is 170. I do my...
He took it back three times. Still way stiff even for me. im twice as fast and 250 pounds my buddy is 170. I do my own stuff in my bike. I have not broken down the stack he put in yet.
I'm sorry to hear that. At that time I just tried to change the springs first, he came twice because I tried with different spring rates to do this test. I never had a chance to change the valving because I wanted to see him ride before so I asked him many many times to meet me at the track and check the issue but he never contacted me for that. Sometimes just watching the rider I can better understand what he needs but if he doesn't ask it's tough to find him at the track. I don't charge to go to the track, I don't charge to change the valving if it's not the right one at the first time so I just wanted to see him ride but I never got a call for it despite all my requests because I always wanted to solve the issue if there's something. Just saying "the bike is too stiff" it's tough to really understand what's the problem, I go to the track for that so it's enough to ask.

Post a reply to: Lainer EPICA cartridges?

The Latest