No drama again at the Ironman National

Indy mxer
Edited Date/Time 8/24/2019 6:15pm
I live about 90 minutes from the track and for the 2nd year in a row I'm skipping it, along with a few moto buddies. Even though I get access to a couple VIP tents, it's just not worth it to me.

Imo, mx needs some sort of a playoff.
Go ahead and flame me but the numbers speak for themselves. Attendance has been going down for the Ironman. The owner is a great guy and deserves better than having a snoozer because there's nothing at stake.
Almost every year the titles are pretty much settled by the time they get to the last couple rounds.

Lets be honest, barring something really weird AC is going to win the 250's. And last year did anyone really think ET was going to lose the points lead?
Yeah I know, there have been a couple exceptions, but they have been few and far between.
I love pro mx, but I feel it needs to evolve just like any other sport to improve the product.
People want excitement and drama. Hell even golf has a playoff!
|
500guy
8/18/2019 4:34pm
The playoff idea is bullshit.

These guy's are worth paying to watch period. Fake drama is WWF or WWE, I'm not interested in it.
zehn
8/18/2019 4:36pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2019 5:07pm
I guess you missed the last couple years where Tomac didn’t clinch until the final round? Or the first year when Musquin looked to have it in hand until a mechanical dashed his dreams of the championship?

You sound like the kind of fan who needs artificially created “drama” to stay interested in a sport. I suggest reality television, that seems more up your alley
8/18/2019 4:38pm
Or perhaps they just mix up the race order some. Put iron man in the middle of season maybe. At least make it somewhat relevant. No need for playoff tho. Format is fine as is. Can’t get mad at dudes for dominating.

The Shop

ATKpilot99
8/18/2019 4:44pm
It would cease to be a legitimate championship.
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
8/18/2019 4:49pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2019 4:50pm
Indy mxer wrote:
I live about 90 minutes from the track and for the 2nd year in a row I'm skipping it, along with a few moto buddies. Even...
I live about 90 minutes from the track and for the 2nd year in a row I'm skipping it, along with a few moto buddies. Even though I get access to a couple VIP tents, it's just not worth it to me.

Go ahead and flame me but the numbers speak for themselves. Attendance has been going down for the Ironman. The owner is a great guy and deserves better than having a snoozer because there's nothing at stake.
Almost every year the titles are pretty much settled by the time they get to the last couple rounds.

Lets be honest, barring something really weird AC is going to win the 250's. And last year did anyone really think ET was going to lose the points lead?
Yeah I know, there have been a couple exceptions, but they have been few and far between.
I love pro mx, but I feel it needs to evolve just like any other sport to improve the product.
I agree. Even the SX title was managed until the end. No excitement, no drama, no elevated nerves..... just guys who needed to not fuck it up.

Now don’t get me wrong. THEY EARNED THE RIGHT TO BE CONSERVATIVE.

It just isn’t as captivating as something like NASCAR or the the NFL. Imagine the Super Bowl champ running up the W/L at the beginning of the year - Then doing iso’s and traps for the last 3 games to coast it home for the c’ship.
1down5up
8/18/2019 4:50pm
time to hand in your motocross fan card.
yz133rider
8/18/2019 4:52pm
Seeing it in person the smells the sounds all that matters. Stay home and help your wife pick out blinds while you turn in your man card.
Hoks
8/18/2019 4:58pm
You complain that the owner deserves more but then state you are not even going? Perhaps you’re part of the reason. If I lived 90 minutes from any national I’d be there every weekend just to see some racing.
aeffertz
8/18/2019 5:05pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2019 5:06pm
At Ironman, you get to see the champions be awarded their championship plaques, usually the only round that gets to say that. This year, Eli secured his a round early but the 250 rider will still get their little awarding ceremony at Ironman.

I go to the races to see the bikes and riders in person, not for drama. You only get to see so much at a time in person, it's just fun to see them up close and in person and catch the replay if you want to see how the race panned out in detail.
ajk423
8/18/2019 5:13pm
Am I reading something wrong or are racerx pit passes really $100 for Ironman? Last year I am almost positive they were $50, also Redbud was $50.
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3725th
8/18/2019 5:14pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2019 5:15pm
Are we talking about motocross or TV shows from 2009? Racing is about racing. The points arent even relevant to me when I go to sx and an outdoor every year. I realize how substantial it is just to get 15th and how TV makes it feel as if anything beyond 2nd place is moot....

Just qualifying for a main means a lot to any viewer seeing any pro race in person. If you ride and like motocross you get it. If you just need a reason to complain...well
8/18/2019 5:16pm
ever think that the drama doesn't has to be strictly with the points leaders??? how about drama in the form of guys with nothing to lose going for a win. look at the 250 class from this past weekend..

schools about to start - maybe try hanging out under the bleachers at a high school football game... find out who's texting who's ex... sounds way more up your alley than breathing in the smell of race gas from a 40 man gate drop of the fastest motocross riders on US soil..

wait... were you ever on the show Survivor??

greenmx5
8/18/2019 5:21pm
Tomac should have been made to start backwards the last 3 rounds. It’s not fair that he’s 50 points ahead of everyone else.
8/18/2019 5:28pm
Reward mediocrity sounds amazing. Those guys that don't decide to show up until the 3rd or 4th race deserve a shot at the title too. Participation trophies for everyone!
8/18/2019 5:31pm
Even with a possible torn acl & supposed to be non weight bearing on my right leg, I plan to be there. Nothing is keeping me home Blink
yz133rider
8/18/2019 5:37pm
I drove 3.5 hrs each way on 1.5hrs of sleep to be at budds. 90 minutes to possibly aee AC finally win his first title and the emotion and value with that!?. Bet ur candy ass id be there.
zehn
8/18/2019 5:38pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2019 5:38pm
Eat a bag of dicks OP
Hoks
8/18/2019 5:39pm
Even with a possible torn acl & supposed to be non weight bearing on my right leg, I plan to be there. Nothing is keeping me...
Even with a possible torn acl & supposed to be non weight bearing on my right leg, I plan to be there. Nothing is keeping me home Blink
I’m at 6 weeks post op for ACL replacement and Meniscus repair... before the surgery I hobbled around Europe for 8 weeks, including MXGP of Germany. You’ll be alright lol.

Best of luck on your recovery. Sold my bike so it wouldn’t just sit around and now I’m itching to find something to tinker on in the garage..
8/18/2019 5:44pm
yz133rider wrote:
I drove 3.5 hrs each way on 1.5hrs of sleep to be at budds. 90 minutes to possibly aee AC finally win his first title and...
I drove 3.5 hrs each way on 1.5hrs of sleep to be at budds. 90 minutes to possibly aee AC finally win his first title and the emotion and value with that!?. Bet ur candy ass id be there.
X2. 6+ hours to get to Budds. It was hot as fuck and muggy and I loved every minute of it
Mit12
8/18/2019 9:17pm
MxKing809 wrote:
I agree. Even the SX title was managed until the end. No excitement, no drama, no elevated nerves..... just guys who needed to not fuck it...
I agree. Even the SX title was managed until the end. No excitement, no drama, no elevated nerves..... just guys who needed to not fuck it up.

Now don’t get me wrong. THEY EARNED THE RIGHT TO BE CONSERVATIVE.

It just isn’t as captivating as something like NASCAR or the the NFL. Imagine the Super Bowl champ running up the W/L at the beginning of the year - Then doing iso’s and traps for the last 3 games to coast it home for the c’ship.
You mean the guy that won the most 450 SX races last year and won the championship just managed the championship?
AngryBear
8/18/2019 10:11pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2019 10:11pm
ajk423 wrote:
Am I reading something wrong or are racerx pit passes really $100 for Ironman? Last year I am almost positive they were $50, also Redbud was...
Am I reading something wrong or are racerx pit passes really $100 for Ironman? Last year I am almost positive they were $50, also Redbud was $50.
i've been 5yrs in a row, it's always right around $100. base tickets at all nationals are normally around $40, maybe you are remembering the all day pit option (all racer x tickets are) as being $50 more than base ticket? i'd be surprised if red bud was $50, shoot just the morning pit passes are normally $20-30
AngryBear
8/18/2019 10:14pm
Indy mxer wrote:
I live about 90 minutes from the track and for the 2nd year in a row I'm skipping it, along with a few moto buddies. Even...

"I live about 90 minutes from the track and for the 2nd year in a row I'm skipping it, along with a few moto buddies. Even though I get access to a couple VIP tents, it's just not worth it to me. "

if/when ironman ever fails to have a national, and your then nearest event is a days drive away, shed no tears will i...
Racer142
8/18/2019 11:37pm
I would drive 90 minutes to watch a local amateur race. So what if the title is wrapped I bet there is so great racing somewhere on the track that's worth the price of admission.
chump6784
8/18/2019 11:42pm
I don't get it. Just because the 450 title is decided you can't enjoy watching some of the best riders in the world going at it for 4 x 30 minutes plus 2? I guess there is just no pleasing some people
Indy mxer
8/19/2019 4:05am
chump6784 wrote:
I don't get it. Just because the 450 title is decided you can't enjoy watching some of the best riders in the world going at it...
I don't get it. Just because the 450 title is decided you can't enjoy watching some of the best riders in the world going at it for 4 x 30 minutes plus 2? I guess there is just no pleasing some people
Nope just not worth it for me to "just see the riders in person". I'll watch it on tv after we get done riding Saturday. And yes, last year ET didn't clinch until that race, but he was so far up in points there really wasn't much doubt.

For some of you, instead of name calling how about some real debate or ideas? Wow there's a thought.

The fact is the attendance is declining at that race, and I feel part of that is due to the lack of any drama.

I put it out there as someone who's spent the time and money to actually go to the Ironman.
Some people just hate change. Btw, I guess every other sport that uses some sort of playoff or chase is "created drama".

I think it would make the racing better.
But no problem if you disagree. It's just my opinion.
8/19/2019 4:11am
I'd definitely go. When you get your Nat taken away like we did and have to drive 800 miles to see it, you realize how special it is. I understand your disappointment, but anything can happen. Adam could have a DNF for example. You can ride on Sunday or the next weekend. Go and support outdoor MX.

Post a reply to: No drama again at the Ironman National

The Latest