Vital MX Forum QNA: David Bailey

Related:
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
Edited Date/Time 8/25/2022 9:54am

This week's guest in the Vital MX forum QNA is David Bailey. During his career, David was a Supercross champ, 250 champ, and two-time 500cc champ with Team Honda back when factory 500cc two-strokes still roamed the earth. With a combination of style, technical proficiency, and hard training, he was always impressive. Of course, he also had some legendary rides as a five-time winner with Team USA in the Motocross Des Nations. That included the one in '86 at Maggiora, where this year's edition of the race will be held. Unfortunately, David's riding career ended too soon, with a paralyzing crash before the start of the '87 season. But he later became a renowned broadcaster, and Ironman competitor...and winner.

Bring your best questions, and he'll be peeking in here this week to answer them. As always, keep it respectful, and ask questions that you would like in a face-to-face meeting.

|
newmann
8/8/2016 12:59pm
The Bandit...welcome sir! Tell me a Works RC Honda story, you pick.

DA498
8/8/2016 1:00pm
Hi David, just wanted to say hello and welcome. I havent heard much from you lately but wish you the best and look forward to your responses. Thanks
hvaughn88
8/8/2016 1:07pm
David, thank you for taking the time to give us the opportunity to ask you questions. I know you have raced and called so many races that it might be hard to remember them all, but my question is: your 1)favorite race you have ever raced and 2) your favorite race you have ever called.

Thanks again for taking the time to do this!
8/8/2016 1:21pm
I asked Barnett about the Suzuki with the tank under the seat and he said he didn't like it. How was your relationship with the super trick Hondas of the era.

The Shop

Wildeye511
8/8/2016 1:24pm
David,

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. Who was the toughest guy to pass? Did you ever hate being being a certain rider?

Ted722
8/8/2016 1:33pm
Much appreciated to GuyB for setting this up and David for participating. Thanks!

What were some of the initial discussions (among riders / team managers) like concerning the Production rule?

30 years later what are your thoughts on that rule?
RCB33
Fantasy
139th
8/8/2016 1:52pm
Seeing that you are one of the best 500cc riders to walk the earth, do you believe they were too much power to handle and that lead to their downfall or do you disagree with that statement? If you agree with that statement,do you think 450's will suffer the same fate due to the abundance of power they have to offer? As always,thanks for taking the time to answer our questions,its much appreciated.
Tbteam
8/8/2016 1:56pm
Four Stroke or Two Stroke?
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
8/8/2016 1:56pm
Is you son still riding/racing? If so do you support his decision to do so or do you try to steer him towards other activities?

Thanks for your time - Always enjoyed your insight when commentating on the races.
DA498
8/8/2016 2:24pm
David, whats your take on todays training programs (trainers) vs how you train? Did you have access to trainers or use them? Thanks
PTshox
8/8/2016 2:39pm
Ahh... I was at that race where the picture was taken of you with RJ and the dogger. Hollister 1986. I believe someone got run over in the fist turn.

Didn't you show up in Aptos, Ca from time to time to test pipe's with Paul Turner? I heard stories about you being out at a local riding spot above Sea Scape. It's not full of houses!

I enjoyed the battles you have with various people... Hope all is well with you.
8/8/2016 2:44pm
David,

I used to love watching the races with you and Art calling the action. When's the reunion scheduled for?
Old-Man
8/8/2016 3:38pm Edited Date/Time 8/8/2016 3:40pm
Favorite MXoN (MXDN) experience?

Doesn't necessarily have to be about the race....Smile
KMC440
8/8/2016 3:46pm
Hello Mr. Bailey .... holy crap I'm asking David Bailey a question ... a few years ago you were going through a very difficult time with your health(bed sores etc...). I believe you've discussed it before but could you explain what happened and the ultimate cure? I truly believe you are one of the all-time greats of our sport and hope you're in good spirits and better health.

Thank you for your time. Kevin
ML512
Fantasy
54th
8/8/2016 4:58pm
Got a good HondaLand story you could share with us? Thanks for doing this David!
AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
8/8/2016 4:59pm
Thanks for coming here David. Big fan.

I grew up in your era and the Factory RC's were pure eye candy.

With the fast pace at which the works Honda's you rode were progressing, what did you feel was the biggest area of improvement in them and what was the biggest disappointment in your opinion?

Thanks for your time.

Steve125
Fantasy
2787th
8/8/2016 5:00pm
Hello and Thank you for doing this. I would have a few questions but I'll keep it to one.
I'm heading to Unadilla this week and have been going for many many years. I've seen it at its best and at its worst.
It sure has changed over the years, the track.. and the crowd for that matter..
Is there any Unadilla experience that sticks out in your head and maybe makes you chuckle or shake your head? Maybe both? On track or off..
Thank you and have a great day.
Steve
Jimmy_Sloan
8/8/2016 5:34pm
David,

My wife left me for another man, and one of the first things I did was hang my framed Paul Buckley picture of you at the 1986 Daytona supercross on my living room wall. No one was around to tell me no and four years later, it's still there. Everyone who sees it, loves it and so do I. I have to say that you were my childhood idol and continued to inspire me with your positive outlook on life before and after your injury.

My question is what are your thoughts regarding the current era of U.S. riders who don't seem as eager or willing to race the MXoN? RV skipped it a few years, Dungey another year, etc. Also, what are your thoughts on the last few losses at the MXoN? Thanks for taking the time to do this.
FastGzus
8/8/2016 6:04pm Edited Date/Time 8/8/2016 6:06pm
I don't have a question, I just want to say that you're an idol, role model and inspiration. I appreciate that every time I see you on the tv watching machine or hear your voice it seems overflowing with positivity. You've always been someone I've idolized and that list is short. I wish nothing but the best.

Gzus
selous scout
Ft Victoria Rhodesia/ Jarrettsville Md/, MD US
Fantasy
3966th
8/8/2016 6:14pm

Hi David; kept this for damn near 40 years! You were still a privateer at Unadilla and gave this to my wife she was so excited and after that day her favorite. I knew that one day you would smoke them all ; what style ; wishing you well kind regards C J
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
8/8/2016 6:17pm
Thanks for doing this!

Who do you feel is the most naturally talented rider that you have witnessed? Then till now.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
8/8/2016 6:37pm
Tbteam wrote:
Four Stroke or Two Stroke?
Ha! And thanks, Mark. Smile
kkawboy14
8/8/2016 6:49pm
David,

I used to love watching the races with you and Art calling the action. When's the reunion scheduled for?
This x2
kiwifan
8/8/2016 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 8/8/2016 7:17pm
Hi David, you are an amazing athlete, thanks for your huge contribution to the sports you have participated in. Legend.

Who do you think will win the 2017 450 SX title, and why?

p.s. as per post above we miss your race calling Sad
8/8/2016 8:14pm
GuyB wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/08/08/146302/s1200_080816bailey7802.jpg[/img] This week's guest in the Vital MX forum QNA is David Bailey. During his career, David was a Supercross champ, 250 champ, and two-time 500cc...

This week's guest in the Vital MX forum QNA is David Bailey. During his career, David was a Supercross champ, 250 champ, and two-time 500cc champ with Team Honda back when factory 500cc two-strokes still roamed the earth. With a combination of style, technical proficiency, and hard training, he was always impressive. Of course, he also had some legendary rides as a five-time winner with Team USA in the Motocross Des Nations. That included the one in '86 at Maggiora, where this year's edition of the race will be held. Unfortunately, David's riding career ended too soon, with a paralyzing crash before the start of the '87 season. But he later became a renowned broadcaster, and Ironman competitor...and winner.

Bring your best questions, and he'll be peeking in here this week to answer them. As always, keep it respectful, and ask questions that you would like in a face-to-face meeting.

First off, thanks Steve for having me on here and thanks everyone for the support over the years and your questions.
8/8/2016 8:40pm
newmann wrote:
The Bandit...welcome sir! Tell me a Works RC Honda story, you pick.

Hello Newmann. Since you holeshotted, here goes. My first look at my very own works Honda was in 1982 towards the end of the Florida Winter AM. Since I was new to the team and living in Va. I had no idea what to expect. I figured it would be about the same as the 1981 bikes that Team USA had just won the Des Nations with, but maybe smoothed out a bit. When I got to Florida for the first round at St. Pete I met my mechanic Paul Turner and saw the bike with #23 on it and was all excited. After a few minutes Paul said, this isn't your race bike, this is just until "those" get here. Wait until you see those! So I rode an updated '81 works bike and was winning and getting comfortable. When the series got to Orlando, I rode with Paul to the airport to pick up the crate with my actual '82 bike. I'll never forget when Paul took the top off the crate so we could see inside! It was packed first class Honda style and partially covered up. The parts I could see were under clear plastic and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The red was BRIGHT RED! The seat was BRIGHT BLUE! The pipe was SO trick, the tank went all the way down to the engine cases and the trick kick starter folded into it flush... I was so excited! And I didn't even see the whole thing. Paul put the lid back on, loaded it in the boxvan and off we went back to the hotel. I couldn't wait to see the rest and sit on it with that seat going all the way up on the tank. When Paul put it all together I was still staring at it in awe. It had a monocock subframe, trick forks and was so new looking. It couldn't get any better. Then he started it! The sharpest raspy brap I'd ever heard. I went 1-1 and loved it!
Old-Man
8/8/2016 9:13pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/08/08/146357/s1200_1470704825486_593443144.jpg[/img] Hi David; kept this for damn near 40 years! You were still a privateer at Unadilla and gave this to my wife she was so...

Hi David; kept this for damn near 40 years! You were still a privateer at Unadilla and gave this to my wife she was so excited and after that day her favorite. I knew that one day you would smoke them all ; what style ; wishing you well kind regards C J
Wow...Read a post earlier today that stated most prized MX possession but this is right up there
8/8/2016 9:14pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
David, thank you for taking the time to give us the opportunity to ask you questions. I know you have raced and called so many races...
David, thank you for taking the time to give us the opportunity to ask you questions. I know you have raced and called so many races that it might be hard to remember them all, but my question is: your 1)favorite race you have ever raced and 2) your favorite race you have ever called.

Thanks again for taking the time to do this!
My pleasure.

1) Hmmm, there are so many that were special, but I'll go with my first ever Anaheim in 1983. NBC Sports, water hole, sold out croud, even tricker bikes than '82, kind of a sandy track, KMET rockers, buzz in the air, no real expectations or pressure, but I figured I should probably be top 5, hopefully podium. Just exciting. I was in new blue JT stuff (my first year in it) and Hannah was on the team, I had become friends with Johnny O.. the only thing I wasn't stoked about was I didn't have my helmet yet so I ran a solid red one. So I made huge 11's out of #plate backgrounds and put a JT visor on it and headed out there. My mechanic was Cliff White as Paul had decided to stick around the shop more and develop things. 1/2 way through the night Paul looked at me and pretty much said, you can win. I knew he meant it and I went out and won. Magoo looped it and I snuck through behind Broc, but it clogged everybody up behind us. Then Broc did a flyin W through the rockers and I was in the lead and living a dream. I didn't want the race to end. Over the finish line jump I had never really done a no hander, but I was so stoked it just happened. I didn't know what to do after that. I kind of rode around, gave a thumbs up over to Cliff and then I heard the crowd and looked just in time to see Johnny pass Broc for second in the last turn and then do a no hander over the finish. Man what a moment! My mom was out there in the starting line, my friend Tom Mueller from Wrangler, NBC and I was just buzzing. As we walked to the press box Broc paid me some compliments and I realized things were going be different!

2) Pontiac was a really good one the year RC looped it and his visor was hanging 1/2 off. That moment changed the dynamic of the race. Art stood up, I damn near did and crazy things kept happening one after another and then Davey said, guys... don't count out Carmichael! He's up to (10th or something) and he's running the fastest laps. Great race! I left the TV booth early and went to ask for Ricky's jersey. An orange sweaty #4
8/8/2016 9:36pm Edited Date/Time 8/20/2016 3:53pm
I asked Barnett about the Suzuki with the tank under the seat and he said he didn't like it. How was your relationship with the super...
I asked Barnett about the Suzuki with the tank under the seat and he said he didn't like it. How was your relationship with the super trick Hondas of the era.
Yeah I remember those Suzuki's. Good concept, but maybe they changed so much on the bike that it got funky. Suzuki's were really trick and fast and light in 80, 81. Can't remember 82, but our 82 Honda's were ridiculously good. Our team was good and Hansen was winning a lot and when he wasn't Shultz or somebody else was. So Suzuki might have decided to really go for it and just missed it.

I thoroughly enjoyed all my time at Honda. It wasn't always easy, but we had such smart people and such good riders we solved things pretty fast. 1983 for example, the '82 bike was already great yet they went and made lots of changes. Kick starter, chain, pipe etc went to the other side I think, different styling and feel, a round silencer instead of oval (which I didn't like the sound of at first) and we couldn't ride 'em. Hannah came to the team that year and and he was like, hmmm. I think he even rode an '82 bike at Anaheim. But, the team went to work and he won both nights in Seattle and I was second and he, Johnny and I swept Daytona! '84 was simple. My 500 was incredible! I burnt my leg on the pipe every week, but it was worth it. 1985, they made huge changes again and although the bikes looked radical and way ahead of everyone else, we struggled at first. That ended up being my favorite 250 ever!

Post a reply to: Vital MX Forum QNA: David Bailey

The Latest