What do you think makes a supercross track “good”?

calcoast
I’ve only been following supercross for a couple years now. When people post track maps you guys say the track looks good or bad.

Obviosly the more spots for passing the better. Is it the 180s? Or the way the tracks run? Like whoops followed by tabletops or rhythm sections going into 180s?

I look at track maps and don’t know if it’s going to be a “good” or “bad” track.

Obviously it’s all opinion so what is yours?
|
kkawboy14
1/21/2018 7:57pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2018 7:58pm
6 full straights from end to end on a football field. Single to flatland jumps, giant wall jumps, over unders, 1 minute minimum lap times. Soft soil, free beer and free hot dogs or at least $1 pretzels
Crush
1/21/2018 8:02pm
Long lanes followed by 180° corners with big berms and a long entry point for block passes and a reason to go inside or outside because of the following obstacles...

1 triple only. Big whoops with slower entry points right out of a turn... the long entry whoops almost always end up one lined.

Good dirt and about 25% more than they ever seem to have right now.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
1/21/2018 8:02pm
Long lanes that go the length of the stadium where a rider can get alongside and set up a pass. Short lanes don't allow passes without a mistake by the leading rider.

Back to back 180 bowl turns that allow riders to cross over and set up passes.

Rhythm sections that allow multiple rhythms.

It's also very rare in the 4 stroke era, but inside ruts and outside berms that allow guys to go inside and outside and the time is similar.

Crush
1/21/2018 8:07pm
Long lanes that go the length of the stadium where a rider can get alongside and set up a pass. Short lanes don't allow passes without...
Long lanes that go the length of the stadium where a rider can get alongside and set up a pass. Short lanes don't allow passes without a mistake by the leading rider.

Back to back 180 bowl turns that allow riders to cross over and set up passes.

Rhythm sections that allow multiple rhythms.

It's also very rare in the 4 stroke era, but inside ruts and outside berms that allow guys to go inside and outside and the time is similar.

Ya I think if there's an inside berm with four strokes that would automatically become the line unless whatever the next obstacle was sent them up and down so much it negated it.

Fucking things are ridiculous for SX racing!

The Shop

KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
1/21/2018 8:22pm
Crush wrote:
Ya I think if there's an inside berm with four strokes that would automatically become the line unless whatever the next obstacle was sent them up...
Ya I think if there's an inside berm with four strokes that would automatically become the line unless whatever the next obstacle was sent them up and down so much it negated it.

Fucking things are ridiculous for SX racing!
The corner in the tunnel in Houston sort of worked. But it would have been better if the triple in wouldn't have been so sketchy.

Last year in Vegas in turn 1 had inside and outside and the rhythm was different. If you went inside you could quad out of the section.

When tracks have the finish line jump into a bowl turn and back onto the start that develops inside ruts and outside slingshot opportunities.

The 450s are so powerful that it's almost impossible to force them to go wide if there's an inside line available. Any 90* corner is going to be an inside line unless they have to give everything to triple or quad into a section.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
1/21/2018 8:25pm
Also whenever there is a track feature that goes into the stands, Pontiac, Peristyle in the LA Coliseum or jumping the locker rooms in Vegas is always a cool feature. Even though not a lot of passes happen on them, but they are unique.
Johnny Depp
1/21/2018 8:29pm
Close lap times for competitive racing, just like A2. Not too technical to minimize injuries and possibly support amateurs the next day. A good field of vision for spectators. 1st turn wider than the rest of the corners. Get the tuff blocks out or use them to block the "safety" lanes so that when riders go off the track they are not able to just pin it and get right back on the track without paying a time penalty for their mistake. Sand sections that constantly change. At least one high speed jump like "Evel" for distance rather than height.
Crush
1/21/2018 8:31pm
Yeah that Houston one worked well, I think the obstacle out played a part too because it was what it was... ie race too it how you want but you still cleared it the same way. If it was a straight triple out then I doubt any one would have gone wide.

I'd like to see some Pontiac 87/88 jumps on the in-to-the-stands sections. But that's more dirt and Feld have made it pretty clear they're not doing that, even if they run out of dirt week in week out.
greenmx5
1/21/2018 8:31pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2018 8:32pm
Multiple ways to take rhythm sections. Meaning only certain skill level riders will be able to make a certain rhythm.

Difficult whoops.

Banked 180 turns.

Split sections.

Elevated, split section corners. See Pontiac 2005 SX

Post a reply to: What do you think makes a supercross track “good”?

The Latest