Had to put a dog down this week

indy_maico
Edited Date/Time 1/30/2019 7:46pm
My wife and belong to an Afghan Hound rescue group. We love the breed and have had several rescues. This is Spike. We have had him about 6 years, and in March this year, he was diagnosed with subcutaneous lymphoma, which is really rare in this breed, and is very aggressive. We did 5 rounds of chemotherapy (which he tolerated really well) It maybe gave him another 3 months, but within the last couple of weeks, he went downhill fast. We're not sure his age, but guess he must have been about 12 - 14.
He came to us in crazy circumstances, having been rescued a couple of year earlier by another woman in Indy who had a routine surgery herself that went horribly wrong and she ended up in a coma. Her husband was overwhelmed, and the dogs had to go. Spike was named 'Miles', but he didn't really respond to that name, so I called him 'Spike' as it was an ironic name for an elegant dog like him (more suited to a boxer or rotty!) and he took it straightaway.
Anyway, here's to you, old boy. We are going to miss you.

|
Foghorn
12/14/2018 5:27am
It's incredibly hard to lose a good friend like that. We had to put down our 15 year old Yorkie a couple of weeks ago. Pretty sad around the house for a while.
jgmxdad251
12/14/2018 7:11am
One of my dogs died on my bed 6 months ago. Think about her every day.
agn5009
12/14/2018 7:45am
Sorry to hear that. My girl is nearing the end as well. It’s going to be incredibly difficult.
Kenny Lingus
12/14/2018 8:11am
Sorry to hear. Thankfully I've never had to euthanize any of my dogs. They tend to just go out in the woods and lie down. Dogs are better than people most of the time.?

The Shop

indy_maico
12/14/2018 8:41am
agn5009 wrote:
Sorry to hear that. My girl is nearing the end as well. It’s going to be incredibly difficult.
We used an in-home euthanization service for the first time. It was worth doing so not to further traumatize the poor guy.

Not sure if there is anyone in your area that does that.

It's rough either way, feeling for you, bro!
indy_maico
12/14/2018 8:47am
Sorry to hear. Thankfully I've never had to euthanize any of my dogs. They tend to just go out in the woods and lie down. Dogs...
Sorry to hear. Thankfully I've never had to euthanize any of my dogs. They tend to just go out in the woods and lie down. Dogs are better than people most of the time.?
Over the years, we had 1 dog go on his own. We had to do the deed for 3 others.

I told my wife that as good as we treat these guys, you'd think they'd have the common courtesy to spare us making the call!

We have 2 more in the house now that we have had since they were young pups. It is going to be really bad when their time is up....

peelout
12/14/2018 9:13am Edited Date/Time 12/14/2018 9:14am
damn man, i'm really really sorry to hear your loss. it's incredible how much of a part of you they become, nobody can ever understand the connection of a dog and his/her person.

i was going through some really rough times when i got my boy Roland, he brought me out of the dark and showed me the most incredible love and loyalty. everywhere we went it was clear that he was mine.

he unexpectedly passed away in his sleep this past August at just under 9 years old. i thought i'd get over it by now but i still think about him and miss him every day. it's tough. but knowing how much love he gave me and i gave him makes me happy to think about.

jgmxdad251
12/14/2018 9:30am
indy_maico wrote:
We used an in-home euthanization service for the first time. It was worth doing so not to further traumatize the poor guy. Not sure if there...
We used an in-home euthanization service for the first time. It was worth doing so not to further traumatize the poor guy.

It’s a little expensive but, well worth it my opinion. I went with my mother in-law to put her dog down. They took the dog to the back to put a pig line in. We could hear her crying and we wondering what the fuck was going on. 15 minutes later they bring back to the room with multiple holes in both legs from them trying to get it in. I was so freaking mad I had to leave the room for a minute.
Motox627!
12/14/2018 11:35am
Easily one of the hardest decisions to have to make. Our Vizsla "Cyrus" is 14 and i fear getting close to the end of the road. One thing someone told me once that really stuck with me - we take the best care of them and make the best decisions possible, not making them suffer is the last good thing we can do for them...…
Motox627!
12/14/2018 11:50am
Also have kind of a crazy story that relates to this as well. We rescued a ridgeback that we had for about 3 years before she was diagnosed with Lupus. After tons of different procedures, treatment options and countless vet and emergency vet visits, we decided it wasn't fair for her to have to be in pain anymore. When we took her in to be put to sleep, we brought our Vizsla Cyrus with us because i was told it was important for the other dog to be there and it helpes them understand where the other dog went. I admit that it sounded crazy at first but he laid there next to her during the whole procedure and didn't want to leave the room once she had passed. Fast forward about 6 months later and i was at the vet with Cyrus getting a routine check up done. We were waiting in the room and Cyrus was facing the door wanting to leave (as always) when the vet that had put our Ridgeback down walked into the room through the other door. Not even seeing him and just hearing his voice, Cyrus started to grown and show his teeth - something he hasn't done in the 13 years we have had him. The only thing i can figure out is he realized that this was the same vet that put down his buddy and he wanted a piece of him....

Sorry - grammar is shit - typing and trying to act like i am working! lol
whyZ
12/14/2018 12:43pm
agn5009 wrote:
indy_maico wrote:
We used an in-home euthanization service for the first time. It was worth doing so not to further traumatize the poor guy. Not sure if there...

Concur 100% with the in-home service. We've had to put down three and is the only my wife and I do it. In all cases the dogs have been relaxed, in their environment with the other dogs around. With how quickly the serum works, the whole thing is over in seconds. the other dogs have never shown any adverse reaction during or after. As for the cost, my wife said she'd gladly sell anything of mine, including me to make sure the dogs passing is peaceful.
newmann
12/14/2018 1:00pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2018 1:01pm
Sorry to hear that Indy, pets are the best.

Had to do the same with my good friend Johnny O earlier this year. 16 years of sleeping on my head...good friends, good times.

motoman617
12/14/2018 1:01pm
I recently inherited a house and I’ll be moving into it soon and I will finally have a yard. I was hoping to get a dog for company as I’m retiring in a couple of weeks. One of the drawbacks of getting a dog is what you guys are going through. Not sure I could handle it.
jgmxdad251
12/14/2018 1:20pm
Do it! The memories, companionship, and friendship are worth it. It may not seem like it when the time comes but, it is. I’ll always have a dog or two.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1151st
12/14/2018 3:04pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2018 3:05pm
I had to say goodbye to my friend in july last year, he was 16. I'm still missing him and couldn't bring myself to get another puppy, even kept his house which he rarely used. Then my sister rocked up out of the blue with one a few months ago. I felt like I was betraying him at first but now I wouldn't have it any other way. I have a photo of him on the fridge and show my puppy all the time, saying he's guarding her food hahaha.

Run In Peace to all our furry friends.
Foghorn
12/14/2018 3:44pm
newmann wrote:
Sorry to hear that Indy, pets are the best. Had to do the same with my good friend Johnny O earlier this year. 16 years of...
Sorry to hear that Indy, pets are the best.

Had to do the same with my good friend Johnny O earlier this year. 16 years of sleeping on my head...good friends, good times.

My Dad had to put his 19 year old cat Oscar down a little while back. He was never much of a dog or cat person but picked Oscar up as a stray kitten way back when and developed a strong bond and he was the only person that Oscar would tolerate. He took it real hard. I haven't seen my Dad cry much in my life but putting Oscar down sure did it.
vetmxr
12/14/2018 4:22pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2018 4:23pm
My life would not be the same without my dogs.... .. how many other pets would give their life for you without hesitation?
Kenny Lingus
12/14/2018 4:25pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2018 5:54pm
indy_maico wrote:
Over the years, we had 1 dog go on his own. We had to do the deed for 3 others. I told my wife that as...
Over the years, we had 1 dog go on his own. We had to do the deed for 3 others.

I told my wife that as good as we treat these guys, you'd think they'd have the common courtesy to spare us making the call!

We have 2 more in the house now that we have had since they were young pups. It is going to be really bad when their time is up....

Any cat I've had has had to be euthanized. I'm fortunate to know a vet that comes to the house for anything that doesn't require anesthesia. I take care of her horses and house when she is away for trade. Very good deal for me.
plowboy
12/14/2018 4:35pm
Don't get me started. I have things to get done tonight and crying ain't one of them. I miss my boy every day.
borg
12/14/2018 7:30pm
I have been avoiding this thread. Sorry for your loss indy. If there were words to make you feel better, every swinging dick in this thread would have said them. There just isn't any.
BMR179
Fantasy
1239th
12/15/2018 5:28am
Sorry for your loss. They are family with unconditional love. RIP Spike.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
12/15/2018 5:50am Edited Date/Time 12/15/2018 5:51am
Dogs should outlive us with as much unconditional love they give. It is not fair. Sorry for everyone who has experienced one of the most painful times in life. Godspeed to the many loved companions.
12/15/2018 10:10am Edited Date/Time 12/15/2018 10:11am
Man... What can be said that hasn't already been said.

I feel your pain mate, was last November the 21st i lost my old girl, had her from 19 to 35 so it feels as if she was here forever, hate getting home first and the place is all empty,
We had a rough few months before making the decision but still find myself wondering if i let her down... Guess that's just how it goes.

It's a different kind of losing, as silly as it sounds.. I've lost family members and been normal, i.e not turned into a blubbering wreck.. but with the dog, i couldn't say her name for about a week without feeling like i'd swallowed a golf ball, never got like that over anything before.

Think it's just the not knowing if i made the right choice that fk'd me up, can't imagine what'd it'd be like for a parent with a kid that couldn't talk or something like that.. as this for me was probably the hardest thing i've ever had to do.
jeffro503
12/15/2018 10:23am
My feeling go out to you and your wife Indy. And to the other's on here that have had to do the same. The last dog I lost due to a freak accident was about 20 years ago. Haven't had a dog again since. It can be as rough as losing a family member , because in essence , they are.
ocscottie
12/15/2018 6:30pm
Man, that is one of the single hardest things to do. The unconditional love from a dog can not be matched and losing them is really tough, hell i lost my Service Dog Ian over 15 years ago and i still think about him every single day.

Hang tough Indy, wish there were some magic words to help heal your pain.
race
12/17/2018 9:55pm
Sorry to hear ... so tough to say goodbye to them.

Went to the Vet both times - Cisco a shep and Sprocket a big 'ol grey tabby. Both made it to 17.

Each time they just put their head in my lap, vet gave them the shot and they went to sleep. Didn't seem bad at all for them, although not as nice as being at home. They gave me a separate room and some extra time.

Just remember to bring some dark shades! And have them send the bill. No way was I able to stand in line at the main pay counter after that.
71Fish
12/18/2018 4:12am
Sorry for all who have had to say goodbye to their furry buddies. I haven't had to do that but get chocked up thinking about that inevitable day. I love my two girls so much, and my wife and I are their world.

My wife is a vet-tech and has to see this everyday. They aren't even her pets but sometimes it still hurts. What she tells me bothers her the most though, is when a pet owner holds out too long and the pet is just suffering, You who have had to do this did the right thing, no matter how bad it hurts.
steed 2.0
12/18/2018 11:33am
I have bred and reared quite some Greyhounds and Whippets over the years... quit from active breeding & racing a while ago, still miss it except putting dogs to sleep... sometimes there was no other option with complex bone fractures... btw (ex racing) Greyhounds / Sighthounds make great pets.

Kenny Lingus
12/18/2018 12:06pm
steed 2.0 wrote:
I have bred and reared quite some Greyhounds and Whippets over the years... quit from active breeding & racing a while ago, still miss it except...
I have bred and reared quite some Greyhounds and Whippets over the years... quit from active breeding & racing a while ago, still miss it except putting dogs to sleep... sometimes there was no other option with complex bone fractures... btw (ex racing) Greyhounds / Sighthounds make great pets.

I've been thinking of adopting one. How well do they deal with the cold?
ocscottie
12/18/2018 12:51pm
steed 2.0 wrote:
I have bred and reared quite some Greyhounds and Whippets over the years... quit from active breeding & racing a while ago, still miss it except...

I remember watching a segment on 60 Minutes (a weekly news show on over here) years ago about adopting retired Greys, it made about cry and i have always wanted to adopt one, such cool dogs.

Post a reply to: Had to put a dog down this week

The Latest