03 CR250R Leaking Transmission Oil From Weep Hole

mjr119
Title says it. My CR started leaking oil last Saturday. It's dripping from the weep hole between the cases. See below, above #15.

Originally I thought it was the center case gasket. But I am wondering if it is related to the clutch arm oil see behind the ignition cover. See below. My oil seal is definitely pushed out of place, and possibly torn. Some oil was present behind the ignition cover.

Anyone have any input?

I just figured i would ask before I start splitting cases. The engine is already sitting on the bench. I noticed the leak while it was sitting on the stand not running after first practice.

Thanks!
|
Brap!Brap!250
9/16/2016 7:20am Edited Date/Time 9/16/2016 7:24am
I purchased a 02 in June. Was doing the same thing. Replacing the seal on the clutch arm solved it. I did it when doing a flywheel weight. If remembering correctly you have to pull the flywheel to get arm out all the way. Seal pressed in easily by hand. The oil leaks out the clutch arm, then out that hole in the lower right of your bottom photo and out the weep hole.

Make sure it is the rear weep hole. I think there are 2 holes along the center-line of the cases. A front and a rear. I would go check but have a skid plate in the way.

Disclaimer: Could be wrong about everything I said.
Paw Paw
9/16/2016 8:23am
Also make sure your oil breather hose is not clogged up. If it is , then the build up of pressure will push that seal out again.

Paw Paw
mjr119
9/16/2016 1:03pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2016 1:03pm
Awesome hopefully it is just the oil seal. I will try that first. I'll also check to make sure the vent isn't clogged. Thanks!

The Shop

mjr119
9/16/2016 6:04pm
Paw paw you are old but wise! The breather hose was in fact clogged up. I ordered a new seal along with a few other goodies. I pushed the old seal back down for now and filled it up with oil. It did not leak a drop all day. I'm going to try to ride some Sunday. I'll bring some extra oil!

Thank you all.

Post a reply to: 03 CR250R Leaking Transmission Oil From Weep Hole

The Latest