2020 yz450f problems

kpersonius264
Fantasy
3584th
8/6/2020 1:28am
last week one of our local pro riders 2020 blew up at 25 hours. looks like the rod broke and put a big old hole in...
last week one of our local pro riders 2020 blew up at 25 hours. looks like the rod broke and put a big old hole in the cases.
Mxracer607 wrote:
who was it kevin?
Drew Thomas
tasha2006
8/23/2020 9:09pm
PJRAUS wrote:
A friend of mine blew his motor on the 20 at 6 hrs I think he said...Yamaha covered it...motor was totalled. I only have 1.3 hrs...
A friend of mine blew his motor on the 20 at 6 hrs I think he said...Yamaha covered it...motor was totalled.
I only have 1.3 hrs on mine, hoping everything goes ok
Who did he talk to go to get the motor covered?
tasha2006
8/23/2020 9:10pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2020 9:22pm
Just a feeler if anyone had any problems with their 2020 yz450f. I race pro motocross and have just been doing a bunch of local racing...
Just a feeler if anyone had any problems with their 2020 yz450f. I race pro motocross and have just been doing a bunch of local racing here in NY/NJ/PA and the bike blew up with 31.2 hours. Oil is changed every other ride and filter every other oil change. Race days I change the filter after 1st motos. Bike gets regular professional level maintenance obviously. I’m pulling the motor apart now and will update when I find out what went wrong.
mxjensen101
8/23/2020 9:19pm
Just a feeler if anyone had any problems with their 2020 yz450f. I race pro motocross and have just been doing a bunch of local racing...
Just a feeler if anyone had any problems with their 2020 yz450f. I race pro motocross and have just been doing a bunch of local racing here in NY/NJ/PA and the bike blew up with 31.2 hours. Oil is changed every other ride and filter every other oil change. Race days I change the filter after 1st motos. Bike gets regular professional level maintenance obviously. I’m pulling the motor apart now and will update when I find out what went wrong.
Hey man I just had the same thing happen to me a month before LL. I’m a pro sport rider an my bike had 37 hours an the rod snapped an destroyed my motor completely. It took forever to get parts cause everything is backorderd. There is clearly a problem, a few kids here at the facility had the same problem. I did a cam chain an piston at 30 hrs. These new bikes are trouble. I had the yz450 since 16’ an this is the worst bike. I raced my bike at LL an I’m selling it now cause I can’t afford for it to happen again.

The Shop

PJRAUS
8/23/2020 11:27pm
PJRAUS wrote:
A friend of mine blew his motor on the 20 at 6 hrs I think he said...Yamaha covered it...motor was totalled. I only have 1.3 hrs...
A friend of mine blew his motor on the 20 at 6 hrs I think he said...Yamaha covered it...motor was totalled.
I only have 1.3 hrs on mine, hoping everything goes ok
tasha2006 wrote:
Who did he talk to go to get the motor covered?
The dealer he bought it off...same dealer I bought mine off. Great dealer
PJRAUS
8/24/2020 1:37am
I just checked with a mate of mine...he does lots iof hours on his bikes..he's a vet but very fast...he's actually in A grade.
. He already has his new 21 YZ 450...
He logged 85 hours on his 20 model...put a piston and rings in at 50 hours but said it didn't need it...but he was alarmed to find that a valve spring collett had popped out...amazingly it didnt cause any damage, so he replaced that valve,the spring retainer and collets to be safe.
He runs the stock filter setup also..
He is a very fast rider, but I wouldn't say he was hard on the bike, he's very smooth and carries momentum very well.
My young mate however..the one that broke his con rod and totalled the motor at 6 hours is a bonefide bike wrecker...very fast A grader, just an animal on the bike...
May e valve spring collects jumping out is a thing?
korndogg75
8/24/2020 7:11pm
Mine just completely died on me Saturday it has 21 hours pushed it back to the truck. Won’t even click when I hit the start hopefully it’s just the battery took it to the dealer hopefully my extra warranty will cover whatever it is if not WTF. Before this best bike I’ve ever rode 🤙
RWhite541
8/25/2020 8:17pm
I have 94 hrs on my 20 yz450f I put the twin air powerflow kit on right away before riding it and I clean that oil screen every other. Rebuilt at 86 hrs piston only. Using Lucas synthetic 10/40 3 hrs oil change and I swear by that oil. A rider rev that thing got 65 hrs on stock clutch and was in Florida all last winter
RWhite541
8/25/2020 8:25pm
Hey man I just had the same thing happen to me a month before LL. I’m a pro sport rider an my bike had 37 hours...
Hey man I just had the same thing happen to me a month before LL. I’m a pro sport rider an my bike had 37 hours an the rod snapped an destroyed my motor completely. It took forever to get parts cause everything is backorderd. There is clearly a problem, a few kids here at the facility had the same problem. I did a cam chain an piston at 30 hrs. These new bikes are trouble. I had the yz450 since 16’ an this is the worst bike. I raced my bike at LL an I’m selling it now cause I can’t afford for it to happen again.
Did you put a high compression piston in ? The 20 Pistons are different than 19 also maybe if you did high comp. piston it added strain to the crank I know 30 is not much at all but GPF your ringing the neck off of it and doing 30’s
sandtrack315
8/26/2020 3:11pm
It’s possible to change the air filter without getting dirt in the intake, it’s just much harder.

I have the twin air kit. I scrub loose dirt off the filter, remove it, clean the air filter area by hand, throw a wash cover on, power wash it, dry it, pull off the shrouds to make it easier to install the filter, make sure there is no dirt in the box, and then install a fresh one.

I wouldn’t do a fresh filter between motos. Whatever performance gains you’re getting is not worth risking dirt from the air box area getting knocked in there while installing a new filter.

Unless it’s reallly dusty / muddy / sandy, I just wash my bike every other ride and do that filter routine. It’s typically not dirty after 1 ride and I don’t want to risk water dropping down there while I wash it.
dcg141
8/26/2020 3:41pm Edited Date/Time 8/26/2020 3:45pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/08/05/442329/s1200_2BDB89B3_1742_467F_B5DF_CFC61FF42AD3.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/08/05/442328/s1200_6569533C_9A2D_4FDA_A4F8_B783C3376E82.jpg[/img]

That's a classic lubrication failure. Next thing is to figure out why. Check the oil pump gear and any oil screens, if there are oil jets in the head look for one to be clogged up. Its hard to tell from the pic but there looks like some trace amounts of water mixed with the oil too.
greg570
10/1/2020 11:22am
Reading this makes me wonder if buying 2021 is a smart thing? Mxa says its bulletproof but changing bearings and gears before 100 hours is a no go for me...
Donkey Kong
10/1/2020 12:02pm
greg570 wrote:
Reading this makes me wonder if buying 2021 is a smart thing? Mxa says its bulletproof but changing bearings and gears before 100 hours is a...
Reading this makes me wonder if buying 2021 is a smart thing? Mxa says its bulletproof but changing bearings and gears before 100 hours is a no go for me...
every bike can break
NoonMoon
10/1/2020 12:09pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/08/05/442329/s1200_2BDB89B3_1742_467F_B5DF_CFC61FF42AD3.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/08/05/442328/s1200_6569533C_9A2D_4FDA_A4F8_B783C3376E82.jpg[/img]

Filter not installed correctly.
NoonMoon
10/1/2020 12:10pm
Hey man I just had the same thing happen to me a month before LL. I’m a pro sport rider an my bike had 37 hours...
Photos of broken rod or it didn't happen mate. ;-)
mx317
10/1/2020 12:22pm
NoonMoon wrote:
Filter not installed correctly.
I thought that also. I've seen many Honda TRX300s ATVs with burned up top ends because of it. They finally got smart and made a filter with a lip that would not go in backwards. It even looked right when it was wrong, but it would shut off oil flow.
pelosi826
Fantasy
2481st
10/1/2020 12:42pm
Had a similar issue happen with my 18 YZ 450. Check out the oil squirter and see if its still there. Mine fatigue cracked and broke off. My engine grenaded at 20 hours.
Titane
10/1/2020 1:07pm
That’s a real problem since 20 on yz450, the lubrification system is really shitty on this new. The oil jet under the rod is not positioned correctly at all for example, it send oil but not under piston ..
we do 3hrs races in sand with same air filter so it’s not a question about that. By the color of your oil I’d like to know what kind of oil you use tho ? For me it’s looks like your oil is not good at all and the cams bearings just locked, broke ..
Titane
10/1/2020 1:08pm
and oil filter was in good position ? Do you take off sometimes the other oil filter like magnet just next your oil level window ?
10/5/2020 11:49am
Did you find out what the problem was that caused your issues?
MotoX85
10/5/2020 5:43pm
Jack_Wagon wrote:
What year was your YZ450?
MotoX85 wrote:
Yea, Im interested in this also. Ive owned dozens of these bikes all the way back to the original 400. Transmission problem on a YZ 4...
Yea, Im interested in this also. Ive owned dozens of these bikes all the way back to the original 400. Transmission problem on a YZ 4 stoke...… This I have to hear about as it would be the first one Ive even heard of that is NOT operator error
Motofinne wrote:
The 18 and 19 had transmission issues. I've seen multiple of failures the last couple of years. I had about 50 hours on my 18 and...
The 18 and 19 had transmission issues. I've seen multiple of failures the last couple of years.

I had about 50 hours on my 18 and 19 and never had issues, but i know there has been people with failing transmissions. I don't know if that is the case with the updated 20 and 21 bikes.
My 18 had over 120 hours when I sold it. My son currently has 85 hours on his 19, oil still comes out brand new with no metal. My 20 currently has 45 hours.

My 17 had over 200 hours, my 15 had over 150 hours, my 14 had over 150 hours, my 13, my 11, my 09, my 08, my 07, my 05, my 03... etc, etc, etc back to 08 400 had over 250 hours. Never once have I ever replace ANYTHING transmission related.... Even the 14 that I blew up cause of the faulting rod issue that Yamaha had a recall on, never did any damage to the transmission.

So you would understand why I would be interested in a transmission issue.

I do know the 14s had the shift lever detent arm that had the ball bearing roller that would fail and ball bearings would fall into the transmission but they fixed those on the 15 or 16 and there was a bulletin on them and Yamaha would replace the part for free.

And again, not questioning anybody, I just would really love to hear what the issue was and see what caused it.
MotoX85
10/5/2020 5:59pm
Judging by his picture he posted, that is an oiling issue. Judging by the sludge on the exhaust side bucket on the cam chain side and by the black oil on the buckets themselves, either he was using a poor quality oil or the oil has not been changed in a while. The ride side valve bearings seized and the chain basically broke the bolts holding the cam retainers in.

For both bearings to seize and cam journals being destroyed on both the right side of the head, it was 100% oil issue.

Again I do not mean to sound rude, I m just trying to share 40 years of bike mechanics. If you are a fast B rider and probably any level A rider, the cam chain and tensioner MUST be changed on these bikes at EVERY top end. In fact, those 2 parts are probably MORE important then the piston and rings.

I would also like to add that again judging by this picture, this motor has been disassembled before as I do not recognize the red anti seize (if that's what it is) on the threads of the bolt hole on the cam chain side of the head as a type of product Yamaha uses from the factory. However I could be wrong.

To the OP, was this motor rebuild in the past?
10/6/2020 12:45am
MotoX85 wrote:
Judging by his picture he posted, that is an oiling issue. Judging by the sludge on the exhaust side bucket on the cam chain side and...
Judging by his picture he posted, that is an oiling issue. Judging by the sludge on the exhaust side bucket on the cam chain side and by the black oil on the buckets themselves, either he was using a poor quality oil or the oil has not been changed in a while. The ride side valve bearings seized and the chain basically broke the bolts holding the cam retainers in.

For both bearings to seize and cam journals being destroyed on both the right side of the head, it was 100% oil issue.

Again I do not mean to sound rude, I m just trying to share 40 years of bike mechanics. If you are a fast B rider and probably any level A rider, the cam chain and tensioner MUST be changed on these bikes at EVERY top end. In fact, those 2 parts are probably MORE important then the piston and rings.

I would also like to add that again judging by this picture, this motor has been disassembled before as I do not recognize the red anti seize (if that's what it is) on the threads of the bolt hole on the cam chain side of the head as a type of product Yamaha uses from the factory. However I could be wrong.

I totally agree it was a lack of lubrication problem. I was curious as to why? I agree with you on why this engine failed, but would like to know the cause.
greg570
10/6/2020 1:20am
I watched a few youtube videos where guys where changing oil in 2018+ yz450... One guy put in 1l...the other 0,6l...This is huge difference.

Both mentioned that oil filter is easy tu put in backwards..
MotoX85
10/6/2020 6:18pm
MotoX85 wrote:
Judging by his picture he posted, that is an oiling issue. Judging by the sludge on the exhaust side bucket on the cam chain side and...

I totally agree it was a lack of lubrication problem. I was curious as to why? I agree with you on why this engine failed, but...
I totally agree it was a lack of lubrication problem. I was curious as to why? I agree with you on why this engine failed, but would like to know the cause.
poor quality oil or lack of oil changes is gonna be the 2 most common reasons but without the OP telling us which one, we will for sure never know.
MotoX85
10/6/2020 6:22pm
greg570 wrote:
I watched a few youtube videos where guys where changing oil in 2018+ yz450... One guy put in 1l...the other 0,6l...This is huge difference. Both mentioned...
I watched a few youtube videos where guys where changing oil in 2018+ yz450... One guy put in 1l...the other 0,6l...This is huge difference.

.6L is if you are NOT changing your filter and 1L is if you DO change your oil filter. At $5 for a filter, why you would ever change your oil and NOT change your filter is beyond me. And Yamaha sells them in 10 packs.

There is a hole in 1 side of the oil filter, if you are putting these in backwards you would literally have to punch a hole in the other side to do that. I find it really hard to comprehend someone is putting the filter in backwards..... and even if they did, it would not cause damage to the motor, it simply would not filter properly.
greg570
10/6/2020 10:31pm
greg570 wrote:
I watched a few youtube videos where guys where changing oil in 2018+ yz450... One guy put in 1l...the other 0,6l...This is huge difference. Both mentioned...

MotoX85 wrote:
.6L is if you are NOT changing your filter and 1L is if you DO change your oil filter. At $5 for a filter, why you...
.6L is if you are NOT changing your filter and 1L is if you DO change your oil filter. At $5 for a filter, why you would ever change your oil and NOT change your filter is beyond me. And Yamaha sells them in 10 packs.

There is a hole in 1 side of the oil filter, if you are putting these in backwards you would literally have to punch a hole in the other side to do that. I find it really hard to comprehend someone is putting the filter in backwards..... and even if they did, it would not cause damage to the motor, it simply would not filter properly.
I find this BS. There is only max 0,1L of oil in the filter box....so changing oil without filter and only putting 0,6L of oil in means you have cca. 0,3L (or 30%) of oil too less in the engine.
Lynch
10/7/2020 12:25am Edited Date/Time 10/7/2020 3:45am
MotoX85 wrote:
.6L is if you are NOT changing your filter and 1L is if you DO change your oil filter. At $5 for a filter, why you...

0.6L without filter vs 1.L with filter change is wrong, on the 250 2020 the difference is 0.02L so wouldn't make sense at all

Edit: YZ450F 2020
Oil change 0.63L
Oil & filter change 0.65L
cloud41
10/7/2020 4:24am
“All oil is the same. I run Rotella and have no issues.”
greg570
10/7/2020 4:42am Edited Date/Time 10/7/2020 4:43am
MotoX85 wrote:

Lynch wrote:
0.6L without filter vs 1.L with filter change is wrong, on the 250 2020 the difference is 0.02L so wouldn't make sense at all Edit: YZ450F...
0.6L without filter vs 1.L with filter change is wrong, on the 250 2020 the difference is 0.02L so wouldn't make sense at all

Edit: YZ450F 2020
Oil change 0.63L
Oil & filter change 0.65L
Only 0,6L of oil in the engine? No wonder cranks are seizing...

Post a reply to: 2020 yz450f problems

The Latest