Why no status on Moreau?

DC
2/18/2020 8:33am
Wade221 wrote:
I need to go back and re-watch the moment, but there was part where a dude crashed in front of like three track crew/Alpinestars personnel, and...
I need to go back and re-watch the moment, but there was part where a dude crashed in front of like three track crew/Alpinestars personnel, and was pinned under his bike, and it seemed like they just stood there staring at him and then were playing “rock, paper,scissors” to decide who was getting him. Obviously, the last part is not true, but they just stood there looking, then all them moved, then no one could decide what to do.. felt like an eternity
DC wrote:
That was Vince Friese that was stuck under his bike. They may not have seen him at first because he was in that deep sand berm...
That was Vince Friese that was stuck under his bike. They may not have seen him at first because he was in that deep sand berm at the of the sand straight and there were Tuff Blocks on top of the berm. , I think Alex Ray crashed in pretty much near the same spot, but on the opposite side of the track, they were there immediately and they also order a red flag. This was when Alex was down...

When we're in the stands we look down on everything and see pretty much everything. When you're in the center of the track and bikes are going all around you, and it's very loud, it's not as easy to see everything. The Mobile Medics and the track crew are at every race and I think they almost always do a great job.

I'm glad Vince and Alex were both all right and I pray that Brian Moreau is too.

DC
Racer X
WW444 wrote:
This has me wondering why this session was red flagged for ARays crash in the sand that did not seem to be very serious at all...
This has me wondering why this session was red flagged for ARays crash in the sand that did not seem to be very serious at all but Brian's wasn't? Obviously we don't have all the details on these situations but from what we all see it was not handled in the best manner.
I haven't spoken to anyone, but I think Brian was near the side of the track, and Alex was in the middle where they could not get to him, at the end of a pretty high-speed section with no red lights. I didn't see Brian's but it sure sounds like it was a big one. I did see Alex's and, like Vince Friese, it looked worse than it was, though they were both lucky it wasn't worse.

DC
Racer X
Rdracer598
2/18/2020 8:51am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2020 8:56am
EngIceDave wrote:
I remember that day, Steve
Rdracer598 wrote:
15 years ago last Thursday Dave. Crazy
Just to clarify, you have feeling in your legs and feet but can’t move them?
Correct. I have full touch and spotty pain sensation but I can’t tell difference between hot and cold from nipples down. I can wiggle toes, move ankle and kick my right leg a little bit.
With a SCI they classify us as incomplete and complete. Complete injury is usually a severed cord. Incomplete injury cords in tact and you have function or sensation where you shouldn’t
2/18/2020 9:02am
Rdracer598 wrote:
15 years ago last Thursday Dave. Crazy
Rdracer598 wrote:
Correct. I have full touch and spotty pain sensation but I can’t tell difference between hot and cold from nipples down. I can wiggle toes, move...
Correct. I have full touch and spotty pain sensation but I can’t tell difference between hot and cold from nipples down. I can wiggle toes, move ankle and kick my right leg a little bit.
With a SCI they classify us as incomplete and complete. Complete injury is usually a severed cord. Incomplete injury cords in tact and you have function or sensation where you shouldn’t
Okay, I thought it was all or nothing so thanks for sharing. I thought the news was great that Brian had feeling all around, but now I've learned this doesn't always translate into not being paralyzed.

Did your feeling below chest or pain sensation ever improve over the years or has it been the same since your accident?
EngIceDave
2/18/2020 9:03am
Just so everyone knows Rdracer598 was a very talented MX racer and then went into road racing, where he had his injury at Homestead

The Shop

EngIceDave
2/18/2020 9:11am
Let me add another dynamic to this.....

A good friend of mine, Matt Bigos, who's also known as "the other guy in the car" with Travis Pastrana when he crashed the vette, was paralyzed for about 6 months, but eventually gained SOME mobility.

It's not always an all or nothing thing

Also people never think about other bodily functions....pee, poo, whatever, that gets messed up as well....

MXMattii
2/18/2020 9:44am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2020 10:01am
EngIceDave wrote:
Let me add another dynamic to this..... A good friend of mine, Matt Bigos, who's also known as "the other guy in the car" with Travis...

A good friend of mine, Matt Bigos, who's also known as "the other guy in the car" with Travis Pastrana when he crashed the vette, was paralyzed for about 6 months, but eventually gained SOME mobility.

Also people never think about other bodily functions....pee, poo, whatever, that gets messed up as well....

Indeed, I remember being at Lommel when Steve Ramon crashed and lost feeling in his body for a while. Never in my life I was so happy when we got informed that Steve got nerves pains through whole his body. Because pain was good news in this case.

I think that all of us would love to delete this part of our sport. Because spinal injuries are sickening.
Rdracer598
2/18/2020 1:10pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2020 1:12pm
Rdracer598 wrote:
Correct. I have full touch and spotty pain sensation but I can’t tell difference between hot and cold from nipples down. I can wiggle toes, move...
Okay, I thought it was all or nothing so thanks for sharing. I thought the news was great that Brian had feeling all around, but now...
Okay, I thought it was all or nothing so thanks for sharing. I thought the news was great that Brian had feeling all around, but now I've learned this doesn't always translate into not being paralyzed.

Did your feeling below chest or pain sensation ever improve over the years or has it been the same since your accident?
My sensation has pretty much been the same since my accident. Majority of my gain was physical ability. I did work on walking for the first 2 years but insurance company kept delaying renewing my script and I’d lose what I gained. Finally said screw it and didn’t care if I walked.

It’s definitely great news that he has feeling. A greater chance of recovery.

Hell I know someone with 0 feeling but they recovered enough to walk. It’s crazy to watch
Rdracer598
2/18/2020 1:16pm
EngIceDave wrote:
Let me add another dynamic to this..... A good friend of mine, Matt Bigos, who's also known as "the other guy in the car" with Travis...

If there was a magic pill and I had to choose between the ability to walk or the ability to pee and poop normal I’d pick the pee and poop pill. That’s way more of a pain in the ass than using a chair full time.

Dave if you know someone who knows Brian and he’s willing to have a visitor that knows what he’s going through I’d visit him. I’m in Tampa visiting new injuries every week
NateDawg
2/18/2020 1:28pm
gt80rider wrote:
Guys, we know the medics had no malice here.... Put down the pitch forks for a few minutes folks..
I don't give a damn whether they had malice or not, I'm not a trained medic and even I know that moving a rider with a neck injury like that is fucking lunacy.

There is absolutely no excuse they can come up with that would justify their actions. None.
2/18/2020 1:29pm
EngIceDave wrote:

Rdracer598 wrote:
If there was a magic pill and I had to choose between the ability to walk or the ability to pee and poop normal I’d pick...
If there was a magic pill and I had to choose between the ability to walk or the ability to pee and poop normal I’d pick the pee and poop pill. That’s way more of a pain in the ass than using a chair full time.

Dave if you know someone who knows Brian and he’s willing to have a visitor that knows what he’s going through I’d visit him. I’m in Tampa visiting new injuries every week
I love how the SCI community always looks out for one another's well being, especially its new members. Props to you, sir.
t_baum88
2/18/2020 2:03pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2020 2:05pm
gt80rider wrote:
Guys, we know the medics had no malice here.... Put down the pitch forks for a few minutes folks..
NateDawg wrote:
I don't give a damn whether they had malice or not, I'm not a trained medic and even I know that moving a rider with a...
I don't give a damn whether they had malice or not, I'm not a trained medic and even I know that moving a rider with a neck injury like that is fucking lunacy.

There is absolutely no excuse they can come up with that would justify their actions. None.
GuyB said he was yelling “I can’t feel my legs” off as they drug him off and then sat him on a mule like that? Are you kidding me??

I hope Feld is held liable for this, I feel so bad for Brian.
jemcee
2/18/2020 2:26pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2020 2:32pm
Rdracer598 wrote:
If there was a magic pill and I had to choose between the ability to walk or the ability to pee and poop normal I’d pick...

Haha was just about to say the same.. I'm lucky I get 'tingles' when a sphincter is pressured (Prob the first time that's been said in here haha) so I rarely have an accident but it's still on my mind ALL the time when I'm out of the house!

Edit: Also I don't sweat at all wouldn't mind that little piece of the puzzle back as well She gets nice and toasty over here and if I don't splash water on my self or sit in AC my shit just shuts down, pretty scary

Another edit haha: I think I remember reading years ago that Mitch Payton is in the same boat as you, where he has feeling but no movement.. I could be mistaken though
brapgod69
2/18/2020 2:32pm
Is there anywhere to donate to help the kid out? 6 months ago I’d never heard of him, but I’ve been following him and I’m absolutely gutted for the kid. First supercross, First practice, and this shit happens. Hoping for the best for him.
spimx
2/18/2020 2:51pm
Modern medicine is basically witch craft at this point and it always has been. People expect miracles, but this kid face planted and went from 60...
Modern medicine is basically witch craft at this point and it always has been. People expect miracles, but this kid face planted and went from 60 to zero in a matter of milliseconds. The human body can do amazing things and will protect itself if it knows that it is millimeters away from being paralyzed, but the latest research pretty much debunks the whole spinal backboard immobilization theory. Paramedics will still do it to this day even 10 years after the theory has been debunked, because that's how they always did it.

*From a grumpy ER nurse who can spot a cervical fracture walk-in from a mile away that will still have good outcomes even if it wasn't immobilized.
You lost my respect at "grumpy nurse who can spot a cervical fracture a mile away". The backboard has been determined to be harmful, true. The cervical collar and head immobilizers are effective. The patient should have been extricated with the backboard cervical collar and head immobilizers and the backboard should be removed prior to transport.

Modern medicine is not witch craft and you can not spot a cervical fracture a mile away. You just think you know everything but you don't.
Rdracer598
2/18/2020 2:53pm
EngIceDave wrote:

Rdracer598 wrote:

I love how the SCI community always looks out for one another's well being, especially its new members. Props to you, sir.
Thanks, It's always good to have someone that's been thru the mind fuck of a SCI.
As a new injury it's easy to slip into the "why me" phase. Once you see life doesn't stop because of the chair and you can still do some awesome things it gets easier.
Rdracer598
2/18/2020 2:57pm
jemcee wrote:
Haha was just about to say the same.. I'm lucky I get 'tingles' when a sphincter is pressured (Prob the first time that's been said in...
Haha was just about to say the same.. I'm lucky I get 'tingles' when a sphincter is pressured (Prob the first time that's been said in here haha) so I rarely have an accident but it's still on my mind ALL the time when I'm out of the house!

Edit: Also I don't sweat at all wouldn't mind that little piece of the puzzle back as well She gets nice and toasty over here and if I don't splash water on my self or sit in AC my shit just shuts down, pretty scary

Another edit haha: I think I remember reading years ago that Mitch Payton is in the same boat as you, where he has feeling but no movement.. I could be mistaken though
Same here. I get 30 min warning to find a toilet lol which is a blessing!

I used to sweat on just my right side but a drug i'm on so I don't piss myself stopped that also. Always have a spray bottle for the heat and when i'm playing wheelchair rugby
jemcee
2/18/2020 3:08pm
Rdracer598 wrote:
Thanks, It's always good to have someone that's been thru the mind fuck of a SCI. As a new injury it's easy to slip into the...
Thanks, It's always good to have someone that's been thru the mind fuck of a SCI.
As a new injury it's easy to slip into the "why me" phase. Once you see life doesn't stop because of the chair and you can still do some awesome things it gets easier.
I don't really wanna hijack this thread but how do you find people accept you? Cause I've thought about doing that here but I also remember when people did it to me, although I was very aware it was out of goodness but I couldn't help but want them to fuck right off haha cause they were the actual embodiment of the thing I was afraid to confront.. A life in a chair
ProKawi24
2/18/2020 3:24pm
Rdracer598 wrote:
Thanks, It's always good to have someone that's been thru the mind fuck of a SCI. As a new injury it's easy to slip into the...
jemcee wrote:
I don't really wanna hijack this thread but how do you find people accept you? Cause I've thought about doing that here but I also remember...
I don't really wanna hijack this thread but how do you find people accept you? Cause I've thought about doing that here but I also remember when people did it to me, although I was very aware it was out of goodness but I couldn't help but want them to fuck right off haha cause they were the actual embodiment of the thing I was afraid to confront.. A life in a chair
Might wanna check these out, there's quite a few of us in chairs here.

Thread 1

Thread 2

Hopefully Moreau quickly starts to feel or move, the best chance to regain feeling or movement is when the injury is fresh. The longer you wait, the less chance you have for recovery. The next 12 months of this guys life will be turned inside out like you can't imagine.

jemcee
2/18/2020 3:29pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2020 3:32pm
ProKawi24 wrote:
Might wanna check these out, there's quite a few of us in chairs here. [url=https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Non-Moto,21/Question-for-Maverick-or-OScottie,1365785]Thread 1[/url] [url=https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/To-all-those-whove-been-paralyzed-or-had-a-loved-one-become-paralyzed,1370927]Thread 2[/url] Hopefully Moreau quickly starts to feel or move...
Might wanna check these out, there's quite a few of us in chairs here.

Thread 1

Thread 2

Hopefully Moreau quickly starts to feel or move, the best chance to regain feeling or movement is when the injury is fresh. The longer you wait, the less chance you have for recovery. The next 12 months of this guys life will be turned inside out like you can't imagine.

Oh yeah sorry I know that (I posted in one of those threads haha)

I meant going to visit the newbies in hospital!
shiftmx_22
Fantasy
629th
2/18/2020 3:41pm
gt80rider wrote:
NateDawg wrote:
I don't give a damn whether they had malice or not, I'm not a trained medic and even I know that moving a rider with a...

t_baum88 wrote:
GuyB said he was yelling “I can’t feel my legs” off as they drug him off and then sat him on a mule like that? Are...
GuyB said he was yelling “I can’t feel my legs” off as they drug him off and then sat him on a mule like that? Are you kidding me??

I hope Feld is held liable for this, I feel so bad for Brian.
GuyB said he was yelling "I can't feel my legs"??? GuyB can you confirm that you heard this first hand?

Earlier in this thread ML said he "heard" photographers said that they overheard him yelling this. This thread seems like a whole lot of hysteria based off of rumours and hearsay.

I absolutely hope the best for the kid. If these rumours turn out to be true then it is a very unfortunate situation that hopefully these guys learn from.
racerxx276
2/18/2020 3:46pm
DC wrote:
There are local medics and the Mobile Medics at each race, in large part because the Mobile Medics aren't licensed to transport in every state. The...
There are local medics and the Mobile Medics at each race, in large part because the Mobile Medics aren't licensed to transport in every state. The Mobile Medics don't have an actual ambulance on the premises, just the mules that they use to tend to the riders. They know the sport, the space, the equipment, the athletes, the injuries... They have been invaluable to our riders over the last twenty or so years.

DC
Racer X
With all due respect to the mobile medics and their services over the years, it appears that they made a serious error in judgment in this instance. I showed the pic's to my wife who is a 32 year trauma nurse, she just about threw up. There can be NO justification in moving Brian.

I've been racing for 47 years and I have never seen such callousness that the promoters have for the riders .
Can you show me ANY other sport that incurs injuries to so many of its top level participants?

AND IT'S OK???? Everyone is too financially vested to promote a safe track. They seem to think that If we don't have nasty rhythm sections, triples and heaven forbid whoops, no one will come to watch?

SX tracks are out of control and unfortunately so are the National MX tracks. The Massive jumps and rhythm sections only take away from the racing. That's something you could so something about Davy, but you don't.

When the facts come out and If the situation warrants it , I hope Brian sues Feld for everything they have...
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/18/2020 3:55pm
racerxx276 wrote:
With all due respect to the mobile medics and their services over the years, it appears that they made a serious error in judgment in this...
With all due respect to the mobile medics and their services over the years, it appears that they made a serious error in judgment in this instance. I showed the pic's to my wife who is a 32 year trauma nurse, she just about threw up. There can be NO justification in moving Brian.

I've been racing for 47 years and I have never seen such callousness that the promoters have for the riders .
Can you show me ANY other sport that incurs injuries to so many of its top level participants?

AND IT'S OK???? Everyone is too financially vested to promote a safe track. They seem to think that If we don't have nasty rhythm sections, triples and heaven forbid whoops, no one will come to watch?

SX tracks are out of control and unfortunately so are the National MX tracks. The Massive jumps and rhythm sections only take away from the racing. That's something you could so something about Davy, but you don't.

When the facts come out and If the situation warrants it , I hope Brian sues Feld for everything they have...
I can't say I buy into what you're selling here. I'd say the promoters have an interest in keeping the field healthy so that ticket sales don't fall off due to depleted fields as the season progresses.

Other sports with similar injuries? Rodeo? Football? Did you catch the end of the Daytona 500 last night? (Here's hoping Ryan Newmann is okay.)

If the tracks are too easy, people (and riders) complain. If they're seen as too tough, people (and riders) complain. At least from my side of the fence, they're doing a decent job of keeping the tracks comparable to what the field can handle, and also keeping the majority of the field healthy.
jemcee
2/18/2020 4:10pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2020 4:25pm
This comment may get canned but I'm confused and frustrated at some comments on here..

People will happily throw insults at people putting themselves in a position to make a positive difference in this sport then pray to a god that does and has done fucken nothing
Edit: I'll add that I'm not having a go at people who have faith, whatever gets you through the day..

"I'm not a trained medic but..." but what? You're gonna assume you know more than someone who is?
Yes it looked bad but I'm not gonna sit here (literally) and criticize trained professionals that obviously know more than everyone on here about how to care for someone in this position and have put them selves in the position to care for the riders..
slipdog
2/18/2020 4:11pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2020 4:13pm
Would you think a neck brace would of helped out in this situation?
He would have easily walked away if he was wearing one, or he would have been completely decapitated... It depends on what side of the neck brace topic you fall under.

***I'm hoping for nothing short of a fast and full recovery for Brian!
Rider972
2/18/2020 7:30pm
crowe176 wrote:
That’s so scary. I don’t know how well his English is, and how much the medics rely on feedback from the down rider so, Christ, I...
That’s so scary. I don’t know how well his English is, and how much the medics rely on feedback from the down rider so, Christ, I don’t even know what to say.. I hope the kid is ok. Was really looking forward to seeing him race this season.
His English is perfectly fine!
toroP
2/18/2020 8:25pm
What I get from these posts:

No one says it’s dangerous to immobilize the injured rider, and use a back board.

There’s no consensus on whether it’s safe to move the injured rider and tote him around, sitting up, in a side by side.

Thus, immobilize the rider and get him to a hospital.
jeffro503
2/18/2020 10:05pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2020 10:06pm
I haven't been on the board to much as of late , and missed this. I had no idea Brian even got hurt. Reading about 1.5 pages in , seeing the pics and so forth , I gotta say it kind of brought a tear to my eye. Wanna be mad and sad at the same time , but most of all , just wish Brian the best. Stay strong kid!
2/18/2020 10:52pm
Rdracer598 wrote:
Same here. I get 30 min warning to find a toilet lol which is a blessing! I used to sweat on just my right side but...
Same here. I get 30 min warning to find a toilet lol which is a blessing!

I used to sweat on just my right side but a drug i'm on so I don't piss myself stopped that also. Always have a spray bottle for the heat and when i'm playing wheelchair rugby
Holy hell - Wheel chair rugby must be pretty destructive. Though I do not have a spinal cord injury, I have played wheelchair basketball and sledge hockey with my friends and I found that to be pushing my comfort level with the speed and collisions.

Post a reply to: Why no status on Moreau?

The Latest